• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lubrication Trailer Resoration ???

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the older model Lubrication trailers on the 2.5 ton trailers, or maybe a 1.5 ton trailer, no data tag. Anyway the trailer looks like it was either refurbished or never used prior to being DXed, hoses and fittings are still in the waxed paper. But it was stripped of all of it's kit, well I have collected most of the kit but I am short one big item, when they pulled the batteries they also pulled the battery box, I need a box or someone with one of these older units to photo the box and send me measurements so I can replace it, the newer lubrication units on the 3/4 ton trailer are not the same design and are not interchangeable! Any help is appreciated.
James G.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jason, I forgot you have a lube unit, is it the old style? I was thinking yours was on the 3/4 trailer? I will have to hit you up in two weeks, going on a cruise next week, Montego Bay!
I found a guy down outside Jackson MS that had what I think is all of the Kit off a Lube unit even the aux. drum transfer pump.
I am still trying to decide to paint it the three color camo or put it back to the original OD to match the 543A2, have you gotten yours back on the trailer?
James

jasonjc

haven't had time to work on mine. Its on the same trailer and look's mostly like yours but has some things diferent. One being the battery box. Mine is narrower I think, it's just as wide as a 6tl. It's holds 2 one behind the other.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newer

Jason:
Yours looks like the units on the 3/4 trailers, mine is set up so both batteries sit side by side, they also have quick release hookups on them. It is set up so you have room for four batteries? I can't imagine why the compartment is so deep since they set side by side?
James

Attachments

aboonski

Pictures of the battery box plus measurements coming right up. I'll do the photos first then the measurements in another post.

Attachments

aboonski

I noticed in one of your photos that you have a totally different roller system in your trailer - mine has full-length rollers that turn on very crude spindles and bases. If you look closely at the photos you will see that one side of the roller shaft slips into a hole (probably 3/8" in diameter) and the other side slides down into a groove. I made sure that I greased the parts that actually bear the weight of the battery box (and whatever is inside of it). Anyway, here's the measurements you need in order to fabricate your own box. I hope there's no real difference in the compartment size between mine and yours. Once you do the math, I am sure you will know whether this will fit your application. Starting with the front of the drawer: 14" height (H) X 16 3/8" Width (W); the inside of the box is 15 3/16""W X 26" Length (L); bottom is 15 3/8"W X 26"L; sides are 12 1/4"H X 26"L; the back is 12 1/4"H X 15 3/8"W. The battery tray is 10 5/8"W X 21 3/8"L and the skirt around the tray is 1 1/8"H.
The battery tray represents actual exterior measurements. I took measurements of the inside and outside of the battery box to show basically where to make your bends with a metal brake. The box itself starts out as a "U" so to speak and the front and back pieces are then welded into place. The front cover where the handles are has a 1" rise at the top and 1/2" lip at the bottom. I hope all this makes sense. You might try fabricating a cardboard battery box first just to see how everything fits ito place. If you need the dimentions of the battery hold-down just let me know and I'll get back with you with those measurements accordingly. Al Broadbent

aboonski

I am working on making my Lube Trailer functional once again and just ordered a new lubricant meter valve from Northern Tools (on sale right now). I still need one more of these, preferably a mechanical unit like the ones that came with the trailer so if anyone has one they want to sell, PM me right away. Right now I am installing shut-off ball valves for each of the lube pumps so that I can isolate each of them when they are not in use. Also installed a quick-disconnect fitting near the air shut-off valve which allows me to fill the large tank in the trailer with air from my shop compressor until such time as I can fire up the trailer motor. I have to purchase a new air filter element for the gas motor because rain got into it and, well....just see the photos. I want to get the GAA grease system running first, the 90wt gear oil system second and the motor oil (Rotella 15w-40) system last. Everything has to be thoroughly inspected and cleaned because this unit sat for over two years up at the GSA yard in Columbia South Carolina. During the time it sat in the back yard, someone scrounged several of the lube valves which I am trying to replace at this time. I did find one grease gun under the compressor tank and one non-functional lube meter valve in the front of the trailer that had been ruined by water intrusion. I am hoping to take it apart and get it working but no telling what it will look like inside! I am happy to have this trailer and only paid $604 for it in the GSA auction but it needs a whole lot of work which I enjoy doing as a hobby. I also plan to install a NATO outlet which they did not have on the trailers like mine from the factory. There's another lube trailer just like mine up at the GSA yard in Columbia SC that will be going on the auction block pretty soon according to the person who loaded me out last week. He mentioned that it was is great shape with all of the lube guns and meters still covered in plastic. If anyone knows a source for replacement air filter elements, i.e. #13206E0251 manufactured by Donaldson Co. Inc. please fill me in. Also looking for a source for a couple of five-gallon buckets of GAA grease too. The last photo shows the nice tires that I got with the trailer which I will be using on my deuce very shortly.

Attachments

aboonski

I forgot one photo of some oddball parts that came with my lube trailer called "Button Head Fittings". Looks like something that would go on a bulldozer or very large piece of heavy equipment of some sort. Anyone know how these are used? I think I have about six of these and my buddy Lavarok has some in his lube trailer also.

Attachments

aboonski

I am "adding on" again, this time with some modifications that I have made which are going to assist me in getting the system up and running. I bought three 1/2" ball valves over at Harbor Freight Tools today and installed them on the lead-in hoses to each of the pumps. I can turn off the pump or pumps that I am not using - right now I still have to come up with the lube meter valves for both the gear lube and motor oil plus one more grease gun so it is necessary to have the other pumps turned off. I plan to start using the GAA grease system as soon as I can buy a couple of tubs of the grease to do so. I still have not tried to start the gas motor that runs the compressor yet but I can feed the air system via my shop compressor with no problems at all. I'll post photos of how it is done. This makes it very easy to troubleshoot the air system before dealing with the noise of the motor in the trailer. I made a fairly short video of the pumps working with the air supplied by my shop compressor and hope to have it on Youtube shortly. I just got tired of dealing with cumbersome grease guns that you have to fill constantly and wipe down every time you do a fitting so having this setup will cover me when lube time comes!

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the fittings you are showing in your picture are "Button Heads" The go in the place of your standard zerk fitting. You need a special coupling for your grease gun to use them, but they are a lot nicer to use then a zerk. Once the coupler is on the fitting, it doesn't come back off unless you push it off. The coupler will swivel 360 degrees around the top of the fitting and they make one handed greasing a lot easier!

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aboonski, really enjoyed your video.

I really like these units, and hope that more folks that have these will post their photos as well.

Here's my 1968 ENG-3 below.

Attachments

aboonski

Thanks for the compliment Desert Deuce. I love your trailer and wish mine were half as nice! Eventually I will get everything working but for now just obtaining a few parts will be the top priority. Do you live in Phoenix? A friend of mine lives out there or at least his wife does anyway - Brian Leslie Finkel is his name. He's in Florence AZ right now (prison) and was the famous abortionist that they put away for 35 years. The houses in the background look just like the Finkel's place. Anyway.....those photos will help me to get this thing of mine fixed. I still have to acquire another grease gun and all sorts of little odds and ends that were missing in the trailer I bought for $604.00. Looks like yours saw action over in the Gulf. I just wonder what took the place of these? Amazing how stuff like this that costs so much to replace goes for little or nothing as government surplus.

I'll have to check and see what type of stuff you sell on your web site. I might have bought something from you a while back for my deuce because the website sounds familiar. Thanks again for your positive comments and the compliments about the video. I will probably make additional videos as things progress with my trailer. Al Broadbent

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Al, I live in Avondale which is northwest of Florence by about 70 or so miles. Thanks for your comments on mine as well. Mine was completely rebuilt in Luxembourg and then returned to the states and sent to DRMO, then GL. Even the trailer was rebuilt, bearings, brakes, everythang. All of my guns were there, wrapped in paper and look to be NOS. I have not started it yet.

PM me if you need anything from the website for the SS promo code.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks