• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V-100 (XM706E1) "Feelin' Groovy"

JimLewis

I wanted to share some pics of one of the three HobbyBoss #82418 model kits I'm working on. "Feelin' Groovy" here is all buttoned-up because I am bogged down on reworking the lower hull / interior pan of the HobbyBoss kit - it's an odd mismatch of shapes and details. So - I pressed on with another kit to feel things out. I did not change the interior profile of the wheelhouses, but cheated and mimiced the flat-panels with weld beads. I don't believe it will show too much with the tires in place. I wanted to concentrate on the most visible exterior features missing on the kit. I still have a few little items left to go, and weld beads to sand down before hitting the paint booth.

This site, and all of you guys sharing restoration photos really supplements David Doyle's photo book to help modelers build these kits. I'm still knocking around some details I can glean from photos of "Feelin' Groovy" circa 1971, but I'm close to painting and welcome thoughts and ideas from you guys who know the real thing. I really try to capture the details in miniature to help keep the history of the real vehicles alive.

Hope you like and think I'm doing the real vehicle some justice in 1:35th scale.

Thanks for looking!

Jim

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Jim.

Please share your progress as you go, and speak up if there are detail photos you need.

Remember not to sand the side/front joint smooth, there is actually a lip all around where the sides meet the front plate, and several other areas as well. Very clean welds, but a noticeable overlap of plates. The wheel wells are not flush with the side plates either, there is an inch or two 'skirt' all around.
There are some pictures on Shane's model thread that show most of this.

Cheers

Edit - added a couple of pictures to illustrate the above comments, one of mine and one of Derrick's. The grey one shows the right front wheel well, including the shock mount.

Attachments

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I like your simulated land mine strike. However I don't think the crew would have shut the door(s) when they got out and you need a big oil stain on the carpet.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work, Jim. I bought the V-150 version with the 90mm gun. Lots of nice details on them. Not sure if the axles are correct though as they have a large ring around the differentials that doesn't look right.

And you have a great web site too. Lots of excellent work. Love the pictures of the Sheridan and the Sopwith Camel gun truck. Been toying with the idea of doing a gun truck but was undecided on whether to use a deuce and a half or a 5 ton till I saw the pics of the one you did. Now I want to do a version of the Sopwith Camel too. :-D

Ruppster

JimLewis

Thanks guys! Ruppster - my best guess with HobbyBoss' axles were that they wanted to represent 5-ton parts. They didn't hit the mark, so to speak. I thought the whole lower hull pan was incorrect, and owners/restorers of the real thing wouldn't be satisified with the representation in the kit. I decided not to mess around with building a new lower hull this time around.

Thanks for the compliments! When it comes to the Gun Trucks, I like to build Deuces more than the 5-tonners - Deuces need more love! :D

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks