• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 wont shut down

trooper632

This is the problem.... The m818 engine wont turn off using the battery switch or the ignition switch, I have to pull the emg. stop cable to kill the engine . Then lift the hood and puch the cable back in. getting to ba a pain in the butt. What's the problem?????.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Donny,

I thought that was how you are supposed to shut them down????
Pretty sure that's how we did it up here when it was loaded.

sw

trooper632

Doesnt make sense to do it that way, that means the driver would have to get out and open up the hood every time. The m817 that you helped with shuts off with the ignition switch or the battery switch, I also have a duece, and it turns off with the battery switch. This one is an m818 I just picked up.

area52

Follow the stop cable back to the actual valve on top of the injection pump. Right below it is an electrical shut off valve with a small knob pointed forward. That knob needs to be unscrewed (in the out position if that makes sense). If its screwed in the valve stays open. When you shut off the ignition switch that valve shuts thus shutting off the fuel.

edit spelling

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Area52 is correct. Check the screw on the front of the solenoid. If that doesn't fix your issue, it's the solenoid or an electrical problem toward one of the two switches on the dash. Either switch, when turned to off should kill the CUMMINS NHC 250 that's in your truck.

Last edited:

oilcan

Follow the stop cable back to the actual valve on top of the injection pump. Right below it is an electrical shut off valve with a small knob pointed forward. That knob needs to be unscrewed (in the out position if that makes sense). If its screwed in the valve stays open. When you shut off the ignition switch that valve shuts thus shutting off the fuel.

edit spelling

Just to help clarify, that knob is there to let fuel flow through if the electric solenoid ever quits working. If you turn the knob to "off" and the truck won't run, the solenoid needs replaced.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the fuel shut off solenoid swells with old age, causeing it to eather not shuting down or not opening up, i put a spring on my manual shutoff so when pulled if needed, it will open up on its own with out going under the hood,, that way if the fsv goes bad and i have to turn in the over ride, i can start and shutdown from the seat

trooper632

Hey guys, I wasnt home so I called my brother told him your advise and he looked and sure enough turned the screw in on ip pump and that was the problem. But i dont understand why the screw would be in

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the screw needs to be in if you don't have enough juice (electric current) to open the solenoid valve or if it fails ( closed).
Some of the 5T trucks have a shut off cable like a deuce. The lever needs to be reset after every shutoff.

trooper632

noticed after turned the screw in, it seems to idle differently, seems to go between 500 and 700 rpms back and forth, and when i push on the accelerator pedel it has a hesitation before it revs up at first, then it seems to rev up just fine . wonder if this solenoid needs to be replaced.

rhinob

Not sure if I missed it......where does one get a solenoid for the Cummins 250 injection pump? Mine sometimes won't start. I play with the power switch a couple of times and it will eventually cause a big 'CLICK.' This usually means I'm in business and it will run. It's also sometimes slow to shut down. So where do we get this solenoid?

Thanks,

Den

M818 Tractor

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks