• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Willys jeep. What year?

my79f

hey guys im here posting for some friends of mine. THey recently bought a willys jeep, and have yet to figure out the year. We have looked for a serial tag, but the front frame has an aftermarket addition so the tag is no longer there. But today while looking at the engine we found this " J182183" that was hand stamped into i believe the head but i cant remember. Anyways there is a tailgate on it that is stamped willys, the windshield frame is stamped willys, and the sides of the hood are stamped willys aswell. I dont know if that helps but. It does have the toolbox underneath the passenger seat that is built in. i will try and get some photos tomorrow, but if you could give me your best guess that would be awesome. I think it is from the forties.

thanks, Austin

Srjeeper

Maybe this will help....Low profile hood CJ-2A, High Profile Hood CJ-3B. Google either one and it will give you all the info on each.

my79f

i will get some pics of it tomorrow, and post up. is there anything on it that would tell me if it was military or civilian? it looks like it used to be olive drab. where would the military numbers be on this jeep?

mikes47jeep

its a cj2a,

because the cj2a was the only one that had "willys" stamped on the windsheild

that serial number is september of 1948 (at least thats when the engine was made)

there should be another tag on the passengers side firewall in the engine compartment next to where the air filter mounts.
and there should be one on the passengers side of the dash

and im going to be the first one to say

nopics

a couple photos will help with identification

regards

Mike

BugEyeBear

YES!
:ditto: nopics :ditto:

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words"!

In this case a picture would have saved a thousand words....
(THAT SAID your description did help!)

"Cheers!" :beer:
-Bear-

PS: Post some PICS! We'd all love to see it!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks