• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new, hopefully, owner of m109, ? costs?

jhillsmo

we are looking at m109. is there such a thing as average cost or is it just demand driven? if listing says, truck started, what are the odds i could drive it 5 or 6 hundred miles home. anyone know someone that does inspections at ft. campbell, tn?

thanx

54reo

Welcome to the site. You will find the information held here quite valuable. Be sure to check out the "Resources" section for just about any TM (technical manual) that you will need. Also, the "Search" function is very handy in weeding through the volumes of threads here to find what you may be searching for.

Q. we are looking at m109. is there such a thing as average cost or is it just demand driven?

The average value of what you are looking at depends. I have seen the M109's coming out of GL for as low as $400 to as much as $4000. It all depends on options, general condition, and location. Most of them seem to be in the $1000-$1600 range. Expect to pay more for one already in private hands, but then all of the joys of dealing with GL have already been done for you. Additionally, the private sale trucks have usually been gone through (i.e. fluids, brakes, lights, and any necessary title work).

Q. if listing says, truck started, what are the odds i could drive it 5 or 6 hundred miles home.

In general, it is not advisable to go by what the GL ad may say. The mileage shown on the odometer cannot be trusted to be accurate, and most of the GL descriptions are vague at best. Even the pictures are swapped or shared between lots at times (see the recent auction event at Camp Grayling for example). Prior to driving one of these trucks home, a full PM should be done. The brakes on all but the last contract of M44/M45 trucks were single circuit brake systems. A failure of one component is likely to disable the entire braking system. There are TONS of threads covering the brake problems that buyers/owners have experienced. I would suggest to have a truck like this hauled home, but that is just me. I know the M109 is too tall for all but lower decked trailers, making hauling costs more expensive.

I am not trying to scare you off, but there is a reason the private sale trucks cost a few more (justified) dollars. Most of the headaches are dealt with by that point.

As far as inspections at Ft. Campbell, I do believe there are a few SS members in the area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks