• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quad 50's won't rotate

hughscpa

I am trying to get the 50's to rotate so I don't have to remove the tongue of the trailer. It had tabs welded on to prevent it from turning which I have cut. what next? Nothing seems to want to give. Is there a motor or gear rhat I need to remove? I have been looking at the tech manual and have yet to figure it out. Someone please help.

hughscpa

I had the thing sandblasted but the inside was riddled with cancer. I don't remember even seeing the turret ring gear or pinion. Is this the only gear that would be holding it? If it is rust, any suggestions?

dittle

Is this one of the units that had a B&S motor on it to run a hydraulic pump? If so, take the hdraulic motor out of the trailer and see if it will turn. The motor could be rusted up if they "demilled" the thing and drained the oil. I'm not an expert these, just some ideas that popped up after seeing one that a guy here in PL owns.

dittle

Only thing I can say is trace the hydraulic lines as I don't know the setup. It should be down at the level of the gear drive that you saw with all the rust in it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The quad is spun in azimuth by an electric motor under the mount. To do any kind of diagnostics on the drive, you will have to pull the mount out of the trailer. The mount will not spin by hand, the drive has to turn in order for it to spin. The trunion ring is very subject to getting rusted and stuck, you may have to disassemble the entire thing. The elevation trunions are even worse.

hughscpa

I guess I should take off the hitch end of the trailer. That way the guns can poiunt out the back of the truck. Is it just the two large bolts that hold it on? It can't be that easy!

hughscpa

I'll try to get them posted Sat or Sun. My wife took the camera and I'll try to get the one from work. I did get pretty far without someone asking though.

hughscpa

Well, I have been very busy at the office with our State unable to get a budget finalized. So I am posting some pictures I took over the weekend. I will take some more tonight and post them as I got the 395's mounted today. A local sheet metal shop fabricated the ammo box holders and did a really good job.

Attachments

halftrack

The thread would be too long to explain the workings of the quad mount to post here. When you have time call me tomorrow at 504-7284610. I will be glad to give you the low down. Do a search on quad mount in Steel Soldiers and you will find a lot of good threads on rebuilding one. I did mine and it is serious, expensive, delicate work. Tolerances are tight and if there is any kind of rust it will not turn. If it was blasted like you say, trying to force it will only break something because said is in the bearings along with rust causing it to bind. You are going to need to separate the quad from the base extension.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks