• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

preparing engine for painting

red devils dude

What do I need to do to prep my engine for paint I know it need's to be
clean and lightly sanded is there any thing else like should I prime it
or no or just prime the bare metal?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hmmm....There are several theories on this. I used to deal with Gilbert Propst (sp?) a somewhat well known restorer who did all of Milt Robson's cars (google his name-impressive collection) and he actually taped off the engines, plugged all the ports and sandblasted them!!! That frightens me a bit, I think I wouldn't do that.

Since your engine is used, I would degrease the hell out of it, pressure wash it and wipe it down with laquer thinner-you HAVE to get all the oil and grease, dirt, etc. off it or the paint won't stick. It has to be spotless. ANy paint that's left, I think i would scotchbrite it so it has some "tooth" for the paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks