• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waterproof Plugs

HQ-88

I would like to ask what is probably a simple question. I want to change out the plugs on my M151. They are the water proof type. Am I correct that the plug screws out of the attached pipe end and if so are there any hints in getting the plug off with out cracking it. I have had no luck so far., I assume the plug must screw out of this pipe like fitting, Or am I way off and these fittings are permently attached to the plugs

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "pipe" does not come off. It's part of the plug. When you order new plugs you just screw them into the heads and attach wires.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To remove them you will need a deep socket. Deeper than most. A regular plug socket will not work.

The size of the plugs on my M715 is 13/16 inch.

Warthog

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
As M16 says...one piece. Just order a new set. I've gotten Mil plugs from NAPA and carquest...usually 9-12 bucks each...usually have to order and wait a couple of days.

nattieleather

A deep well socket will take them off. Unscrew the plug wires from the top of the plug. (Sometimes they don't want to budge and you may end up taking unscrewing the plug) Then unscrew the plug like you would any other spark plug. It's really simple actually.

Rainman

Most deep wells, still won't get them out. 13/16" Snap-On deep wells are just long enough to do the job. I was lucky and the previous owner included one and a breaker bar in the tool kit.
Rainman

CGarbee

While on the subject of spark plugs, I have a page on my website that discusses military plugs (including cross reference info for different manufacture's parts numbers for them) as well as some generic info such as what the condition of a plug tells you about your engine's performance.
See:
Spark Plug Info for M37 and Other Vehicles

One thing on the page is a note that the Autolite 2245 is a "medium" plug with cross numbers of:
Current Autolite 2245
Old Autolite AR7S
Milspec Number MS35909-2
New Champion 517
Old Champion XMJ17
AC WR46
Motorcraft AR7S
NGK BPR6HS

The table that has the above info also includes info on the 2243-2247 (cold to really hot) in case you need to make adjustments...

Good luck.

gonorth

Did a bunch of searches for plugs equivalent to the Autolite AER72S. Best price was 6.89 for the Autolite 2245 at O'Rileys. Plus Autolite has another 50 cent rebate per plug right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks