• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference in generators?

Desert Rat

Hey Everyone;
Does anyone know the difference between a MEP-016C and a MEP-026C generator (Chris??)??? They both look the same to me (motor, generator, panel and chassis). Any input would be appreciated!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do!!! The MEP-016C is 110/220 60hz. The MEP-021C is the same in 400 HZ and the MEP-026C is the 28VDC version. If I recall, the -A versions have the regular ignition and the -C have the electronic ignition. Need more info?

Attachments

Desert Rat

R 4X4;
Any and all info please!!!!! Thanks!
Plus, can I convert one to another (such as 26C to 16C)?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DR,
Only way to convert is the swap out the entire genset end. They are really cool engines on these. Sounds like a little VW motor. I have installed electric start on mine. Sounds weird but whent he batteries are low in the deuce, it usually still has enought to start the -26C. I then take the slave cable and put it on the output slave and juice up the truck. I was toying with the idea of buying 8 or 10 golf cart batteries and doing a series/parallel setup to obtain 12 volts and using an inverter to run the A/C in my S-318 shelter at night when I camp. Then during the daytime reconfigure the battery connections to a 28 volt setup and using the -26C to charge them. I like generators but If I can run the A/C at night on the inverter, so much the better. I had a frind that did the battery, inverter, a/c deal in a sleeper on his tractor and it worked good.

Desert Rat

R 4X4;
Perhaps this is wishful thinking, however, is a power inverter(or tandem inverters) available that can handle the 28V 26C and convert it to 110v /60 hz for long periods of time? I'm looking for more heavy duty use inverters other than the light duty car inverters I see at 'Zone? If so, is it possible to integrate them to the generator? I can't help but notice the 16Cs go for much more $$$ than the 26Cs. I believe it's for this reason. Your thoughts? I love the idea of tandem batteries / recharge / recycled electricity (no motor running at night) idea. I'm also keeping an eye open to the need for customers wanting cheap and constant power out in the corn fields around here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DR, A friend did this with his road tractor. He installed 10 golf cart batteries (6V) in pairs wired in series. The pairs were than wired in parallel. ENd result was 12V. He had a 7000 BTU window shaker in his sleeper. He also used a 3000 watt continous converter. It had like a 4500 watt surge. He could run the a/c for 10 to 12 hrs on the batteries. He had a dedicated Leece Neville to charge it (unk amps). It would take a good 8 hrs to recharge he said. Thats all I know about his system. As for my thoughts would be along the same with golf cart batteries and the inverter. I would either have to use 8 or 12 batteries so that I could reconfigure them int oa 24/28 volt setup to be recharged by the MEP-026. I've only toyed with the idea so far. Just so you know, there was a procedure out there a while back to convert the MEP-025 to 12V. I have the info, just need to find it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks