• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 to civilian trailer electrical plug problems.

Civilianfarmer10

New member as of today. I just bought a M818 for pulling grain wagons and pulling a hopper bottom. The air lines hook up fine but the trailer plug is wrong. Is the M818 trailer plug putting out 24volts? Is there an off the shelf adapter or do I have to cut off the trailer end of the wire and put on a civilian trailer plug? Thanks

Stan

The 818 has a 24 volt system. No adapters that I'm aware of. Instead of cutting off the cable you could get the female end off another vehicle and adapte from there. Your trailers will need 24 volt bulbs also (avaliable at napa).

m109

Banned
what kinda of off the shelf voltage regulator do you use? got a part number? be nice to know for future reference

m109

Banned
I have a uncle with a pintle hitch tag trailer and thought it would be nice to use but the electrical issue is a problem. and i hate to put 24v bulbs in it as his trailer is 12v

jasonjc

There was a thread some time back that had a link to a off the shelf adapter for doing just this. You just plug the military plug in one end and a civi plug was on the other end.

Civilianfarmer10

Thanks for all the input and answers. I have a stong electrical background and with your tips I think I will get the lights on. As for overweight we are lucky enough to farm within a 2 mile raduis and we dont need to travel any major roads. Todays project was to remove the military pintle and figure out how to adapt a cusion clevis type swivel hitch to the M818 so we can also pull center dump grain wagons when not pulling a trailer.

If John Deere made a specialized grain hauling truck for this purpose it would cost $150,000.00 and not be one bit heavier duty or better built than this truck!!

KsM715

Put "M818 24volt to 12volt trailer lights" in the search bar.

I dont know how to post links but this thread has a nice write up on how to build an adapter so you can use both mil. and civy trailers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks