• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1-cdn3

army brat

Hi
New to the forum and just picked up an M38A1-CDN3.
Of coarse someone got it and took off a lot of the strap holder jerry can holder spare etc:evil:
The good thing is that the jeep was garaged for the last 20 or so years and has only 11000 miles on it is in solid shape and has most of the parts in boxes to return it to it's former self!:razz:

The pictures I have attached are of the jeep in it's former home.
I am going to start the restoration in the next couple of weeks and will post pics soon
Cheers

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sweet!

army brat

Yeah I got lucky, I had a boat on Kajiji and I got an email from a guy asking if I would trade for an old army jeep. Most people would have probably passed but since my father was in the forces for over 20 years durring the 70's and 80's I grew up around these Jeeps I was all over it.
I have always wanted to get one even during my muscle car days!
I guess it goes to show you, you just never know what around the corner!

army brat

More info
I have done more investigation and had a collector come over and have a look, looks like it was a jeep with the 106 rifle mounted to it. This is why the tailgate is gone. There was also a patch put in the windshield, also a beefed up suspension and other indicators.

Cool find but it makes it kind of a rare bird for driving
  • Cheers!

Last edited:

tkjeeper

Wow! You're so close to me! I actually work in Clinton, Ontario! Shoot me a pm with your email and we'll keep in touch. I just picked up my M38A1 CDN on June 6! Not in that nice shape tho. good work.

Wile E. Coyote

Cool. I just posted the following in the other guy's thread about his Canadian first-contract (1953) M38A1CDN, in case you're interested:

"Neat vehicle. If you don't know the original CFR (registration) number, they were mostly hand stamped on the top of the driver's side front frame horn (underneath about 1/4" of badly applied latex cam paint) between the bumper and the grille assy., if memory serves. Canada kept them in production through three contracts, which I think were 1953, 1968 and 1971 - with the vehicles nomenclatured M38A1CDN, M38A1CDN2 and M38A1CDN3 respectively. The CDN3 variant had a different rear axle, I think, and the modern 60A M151-style alternator vs. the old-school 25A generator with separate regulator box.

The CFR number was also usually stencilled on the outside of the jeep in the vicinity of the driver's foot, and usually on the dashboard right side above the passenger's knees in white. When they were cammed (usually with a paintbrush or roller) later on on their careers these numbers were just typically painted over, so they should be preserved. If you sand down the rear quarter panels and/or the bumperettes you should see the tacsigns of at least one unit the vehicle was assigned to. When the CDN forces went cam the tacsigns changed to the NATO standard ones you'd typically find on military maps -- prior to that they had full-colour tacsigns about 7" x 5", say...with the Formation on one side, and the individual unit on the other. The Formation sign was usually a shield that said something like "PRAIRIE COMMAND" along with a picture of a wheat-sheaf, and the tacsign indicating the unit on the other side would be something like a red square with "2 PPCLI" written above it on a white strip. These marking would be the same on the front windshield as they'd be on the rear quarter panels or bumperettes.

The downside of those vehicles up in Canada was the rust. Oh My God...the rust. Usually all the stringers underneath the floor pan beneath drivers and passengers feet are either rotted beyond redemption or simply not there entirely...seen both...plus the corners of where the fender arches reach down to the main body. Bet you'll find a few inches of bondo there in addition to the rear quarter panels.

(I have a '53 M38A1CDN at work and a couple of the later models and the 53 is by far and away the best shape of the lot. I think the metal used on the earlier contract was superior to that used in the later contracts, but that's just a guess. ) "

Back to me: a lot of the ones that came out surplus up in Vancouver were the 106 recoilless models. The Jeep should have a split windshield for the standard configuration and "a piece missing" for the recoilless jeeps. You usually had a canvas snap-on cover for the hole in your windshield when the recoilless wasn't mounted, but most civvy buyers when they were surplused in the 1980s either did some patchwork or either grabbed a windshield off a civvy CJ-5 or another non-recoilless model M38A1s. They had a special canvas personnel enclosure too, with an extra bit sticking out the back to accomodate the rearmost bit of the 106.

Hard to find CDN contract ones of that model that aren't completely pooched thanks to cancer. In fact, it's been easier to find M38CDNs in good shape than it has for M38A1CDNs.

army brat

Cool. I just posted the following in the other guy's thread about his Canadian first-contract (1953) M38A1CDN, in case you're interested:

"Neat vehicle. If you don't know the original CFR (registration) number, they were mostly hand stamped on the top of the driver's side front frame horn (underneath about 1/4" of badly applied latex cam paint) between the bumper and the grille assy., if memory serves. Canada kept them in production through three contracts, which I think were 1953, 1968 and 1971 - with the vehicles nomenclatured M38A1CDN, M38A1CDN2 and M38A1CDN3 respectively. The CDN3 variant had a different rear axle, I think, and the modern 60A M151-style alternator vs. the old-school 25A generator with separate regulator box.

The CFR number was also usually stencilled on the outside of the jeep in the vicinity of the driver's foot, and usually on the dashboard right side above the passenger's knees in white. When they were cammed (usually with a paintbrush or roller) later on on their careers these numbers were just typically painted over, so they should be preserved. If you sand down the rear quarter panels and/or the bumperettes you should see the tacsigns of at least one unit the vehicle was assigned to. When the CDN forces went cam the tacsigns changed to the NATO standard ones you'd typically find on military maps -- prior to that they had full-colour tacsigns about 7" x 5", say...with the Formation on one side, and the individual unit on the other. The Formation sign was usually a shield that said something like "PRAIRIE COMMAND" along with a picture of a wheat-sheaf, and the tacsign indicating the unit on the other side would be something like a red square with "2 PPCLI" written above it on a white strip. These marking would be the same on the front windshield as they'd be on the rear quarter panels or bumperettes.

The downside of those vehicles up in Canada was the rust. Oh My God...the rust. Usually all the stringers underneath the floor pan beneath drivers and passengers feet are either rotted beyond redemption or simply not there entirely...seen both...plus the corners of where the fender arches reach down to the main body. Bet you'll find a few inches of bondo there in addition to the rear quarter panels.

(I have a '53 M38A1CDN at work and a couple of the later models and the 53 is by far and away the best shape of the lot. I think the metal used on the earlier contract was superior to that used in the later contracts, but that's just a guess. ) "

Back to me: a lot of the ones that came out surplus up in Vancouver were the 106 recoilless models. The Jeep should have a split windshield for the standard configuration and "a piece missing" for the recoilless jeeps. You usually had a canvas snap-on cover for the hole in your windshield when the recoilless wasn't mounted, but most civvy buyers when they were surplused in the 1980s either did some patchwork or either grabbed a windshield off a civvy CJ-5 or another non-recoilless model M38A1s. They had a special canvas personnel enclosure too, with an extra bit sticking out the back to accomodate the rearmost bit of the 106.

Hard to find CDN contract ones of that model that aren't completely pooched thanks to cancer. In fact, it's been easier to find M38CDNs in good shape than it has for M38A1CDNs.

Hi and thanks for all the info.

Fortunatley my M38a1 CDN3 RR is in great shape very very solid. Not bragging just lucky! Spent most of it's non military life in a garage, and was not driven The only down side is that it was painted red and some of the military bits were missing when I got it (B.O Light and bracket, tail lights, spare holder, Jerry can, footmen loops etc.) I have found, scrounged, bought most everything I need, just want to find a top for it. I am going to add a tailgate and back seat. I know this is sacrilege to the purists but I want to be able to use it with my kids when it is done.
I'll get some new pic's up this weekend I have re done the back and it looks good, also have the clutch and trans ready to go back in it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks