• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MUTT M151 - pics from book

KaiserM109

There is some history that I would like to clarify. If you are a classic Ford fan, you will know that the First Ford Bronco came out in 1965. Several years ago (pre-internet) I was doing some kind research and came across an article in, I believe, a 1964 Popular Mechanics magazine that previewed the “new Bronco”; it was an M151 with a hard top. As we all know, Ford didn’t go that way.

It is my recollection that our M151s in '67, '68 overseas were built by Ford, but that isn’t what the article says. Who did build most of the Vietnam M151s?

Arlyn

nattieleather

During the late 1960 both Ford and Kaiser had a contract to build the M151A1 vehicles. Ford built them up till the early 70's where as Kaiser and then later AMG built them from the mid 60s on. I can't say go here and look, but about 15 years ago I went to the Jeep musium in Toledo Ohio and they had pics up of M151A1s rollling out the doors of their factory. I asked the tour guide a retired factory worker and he said "yeah we had a contract to build those crazy jeeps. Ya know Ford designed them things." So there ya go.

GoldComet6

Guys....if you you wanted historical info on the MUTTs, why didn't you just say so!!

This pic is from the book: Ford trucks Since 1905. It's from the chapter that covers the 1960 models.

Also...from the chapter on 1967 models is this quote:

"Other items of corporate interest included signing a contract to produce additional M151 military trucks....."

Attachments