• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard VS Soft tops

Kevin Whitcomb

I've only ever been in a soft top and they're obviously very loud. Any of you guys out there have a hard top version and is it a lot more quiet?

I'm down to choosing between 2, one's a 792 with a hard top and the other is a 561 with the soft top.

Armada

Personally, I like the soft tops. I like the look of them over a hard top. The newer vinyl style with the rubber bungees seal to the cab as well as the hard tops and many are insulated. I don't notice any difference between the 2 in cold weather (not that that would be a concern being in FL), and I don't notice a difference in noise, either, as they are both loud.
The hard top will give you an 'observation' platform and increased security and you could always mount a rack of some sort on top for storage. The negative would be removal of it compared to the soft top. They are very heavy and awkward. Hardtops cost more too.
It all comes down to what you like. 2cents

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never been in a Goat, but I have owned two M548s (actually one was an M1015A1). These tracks both have Detroit Diesels just like a Gamma Goat even though the model of the motor is different (6V53 in the M548s). The reason I am pointing out a different vehicle is because they both have Detroits and they are both notoriously loud. Anyway, one of my tracks had a soft top and one had a hard top. There was NO discernible difference in noise levels. They were just plain loud regardless of the top. The hard top might have been a little more quiet, but it was not a big difference if it was more quiet.

By the way, I am with ARMADA, I prefer soft tops.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I initially said the hard top was better, but I changed my tune when I did the 2008 VA rally, when I had a soft top and turning it into a convertable was sweet. With a hard top, it would be much harder. I haven't noticed that much of a difference in dB level between the soft and hard top, they are both loud as hell.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard from several goat owners that have said the hard top is actually quite a bit louder than the soft top equipped goats.

Stalwart

I like the look of the hard top better but I have strange taste in vehicles. The insulation seems to make the hard top a LITTLE quieter but I never used my sound pressure meter. It's moot for me as I drove our Goat to its new home last Thursday.

Gamagoat1

Youre sitting next to the screamin' 353, transmission and transfer case on a Goat. The hard top kind a holds all that noise inside with you. REAL LOUD. One of the first things I did when I started building the Goat was to remove and discard the hardtop. Besides, it's nearly impossible to get in and out of the vehicle at 6'8" and 240 lbs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our goat has a soft top.
With the need to wear hearing protection(always needed), I think I would prefer the hard top(for the long lasting durability(ie.snow load capacity) over the soft top. My soft top holds rain water in the low spots.
I haven't removed the top yet, to go topless, but I doubt either one is too difficult to remove with a helper.
I think a Vic-1 system in the goat would be a great idea(future project).

I suggest you choose the top that visually appeals to you.;-)

Kevin Whitcomb

Thanks for all the input everyone! I was hoping you guys would say the hard top was much quieter than the soft but I guess that's not the case.

I do like the idea of the ragtop for sunny days going topless but I also like the idea of the hard top being more secure. I was wondering about the heat issue with the hard top but had though about trying to install an after market AC unit somehow.

My ultimate goal with this is to make it road friendly, quiet and reliable enough to do road trips and camping with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks