• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Short Road Trip

ida34

I used mine the other day to get a couch and chair for my mom. One of the guys at the store came out and had to look it over and talk for a few minutes about it. He said he was glad to see someone driving it instead of going to the crusher.

we take the tractor all over. it gets pretty cold sometimes but you just got to dress for it and limit the trip to 40 or 50 miles one way. that way you are there before you are completly frozen. somtimes the better half says no its just to cold. but then again she works outside all day and doesnt always want to ride in a cold old truck after that.

Boatcarpenter

RDD, the cab color is "383" CARC from Army Jeep Parts I think the seller told me and I have touched it up with Army Jeep Parts rattle cans that are labeled 34094, "383" CARC substitute. That is what I repainted the dash with which you can see in the heater install pics. The seller had swapped a different bed onto it(which is in excellent condition) but left it camo. I'm looking for a dropside so I think I will leave it for now. I have all new canvas top and end curtains but didn't want them on for the winter.

eddiec

Any excuse to drive your mv is a good excuse. my main reason used to be so she had the personal vehicle if anything happened while i was gone. now i just tell her that is what i want to drive, although i do receive funny looks at the gas station when all i get is a pack of cigarettes, or a single coke.

Boatcarpenter

I put the top down one day in the fall and drove downtown and parked on Main Street just to get an ice cream with my GF. She and a lot of other people thought I was crazy man but we had a heck of a good time :p

red devils dude

thanks Boatcarpenter I just orderd some paint from army jeep parts one can of OD and one of
the 383 green cant wait to see what they look like up close.

Boatcarpenter

It is a very non-military set up right now. When I use the truck for work I got tired of climbing up in the truck to get the ladder so I could climb up in the truck to get stuff. So, one day at my local lumber yard while looking for something else I saw those large hooks. One narrow end that slips over the side rack and one wide end that the ladder fits in. Those and a couple of short rubber staps and there she be. Very handy. Just got back from Maine so I'll post a pic tomorrow. The ladder is a mil 5 stepper that the paint is warn off of in places, no fancy paint job yet.

took the tractor out yesterday and today. with the exception of starting problems every thing went well. always a good time to be out in the truck. both days we have had warm weather which always helps. cant wait to get the new tires and parts that Desert Rat and friends are scoring for me!!!

Armada

I've had the itch lately too Dave to take just little drive. It's been sunny here the last couple days.
I love the smell of diesel in the morning!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about the smell of french fry oil in th morning? I guess I take it for granted that I can drive my truck year 'round with the fair weather here in FL. This is actually the best time of year for a cruise. See ya!

Armada

That's right, it's not superheated/humid yet down there... that IS perfect weather, lucky guy. We are still a good month from warm weather. :(

i dont let the cold weather stop me. but if it's to cold, i go by myself (which is good somtimes) the wife does'nt enjoy it THAT much. maybe if it was a hard top she would be a little more comfy. at least it has a heater! i run it to work quite often. 38 miles one way. Armada maybe we'll get the cruising itch and head your way somtime and meet you somwhere in between your place and ours.

Armada

That would be great Dave! Let me know. I like a good road trip. I picked up a CUCV recently that will definately see more road time than the duece. I'm going to the MV show in Clare this year too. Maybe I'll drive the duece and tow the 1009. :)