• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C-5 Galaxy

1qwkgoat

My dad was a C141 crew chief in the AF when I was a kid. Him and the C5 guys woulds always be argueing about which was better could move more cargo etc.. The main arguement usually centered around the C5 could carry more in one load but was usually broke down often enough that the 141 could make several trips. To a 5yr old me both planes where huge setting in the hangers, though the c5 is much larger.

Stalwart

I was told that the C-5 required nearly 200 man hours of maintenance per flight hour (averaged over time). Early F-15 took about 15 as I recall.

Bigger yet, AN-224.

13F10

I found some cool images of this immense aircraft, and thought I'd share them.
Right-click in the image / open in new window opens the picture in full resolution.
Here we go!
I hate to be the joy kill.. But the second image... IS NOT A C-5.

That my friend is a Antonov AN-124.

Notice the horizontal stab position on the tail.. NOT on top of the vertical stabilizer..

And I can't think of a single C-5 that's painted like that.

No offense. Just correcting a discrepancy.

Thanks for the pics though!

Nonotagain

I've got video of a C5 taking off at EAA this year.

It was amazing how quickly it left the ground, the announcer said it had just received new engines that greatly reduced the amount of runway needed to lift off.
That must be flight test #1 with the GE CF6-80C2 engines.

The entire C5B fleet is supposed to get glass cockpits and GE-80C engines. The C5a's are going to use the spare engines from the B models until 2016 when they have an appointment with the scrapper.

The new model designation is C-5M.
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/press_releases/2009/090819ae_c5_1st-mod-lands.html

The 80C engine has 15K more thrust than the TF-39 that they are replacing while using significantly less fuel.

You ought to see that bird take off using less than 3500 feet of runway.

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

My son worked on the C-5 when he was stationed at Dover Airforce base. I remember being at the end of the runway,(during a visit) watching them do "touch and goes" It amazed me that it looked like it was barely moving... but when it got close.......wow:shock:

mudguppy

we loaded a bunch in '02 from HAAF, supporting our sister Co's deployment to Africa. i ran the night shift, which, for whatever reasons was about 4 times as busy as the day shift.

anyway, at one point we had 5 C5s and 3 C17s on the ground staged to be loaded. that was a sight..... and a busy night.

the largest load (physically) we put in a C5 was a PLS w/ trailer (empty) and HMMWV in one lane, and a 1088 w/ ROWPU and HMMWV in the other lane. we topped them off w/ about a half-dozen quad-cons.

the heaviest load that we loaded was a Hemtt wrecker, FMTV wrecker, LMTV (loaded), and FMTV (loaded), topped off w/ more quad-cons. i know it wasn't anywhere near max payload, but it was a lot in my book.

it was amazing to see those planes eat something as large as a 1088+trailer as if it were a giant "hungry hippo."

nkawtg

A very sweet (comfortable) ride and awe inspiring when you see this monster take off! However, I was a C141B mechanic for 7 years (at Charleston AFB, SC), not saying it's better, just my favorite!!

For all you Johnny Cash fans, there was a good video put together to commemorate it's (the C141's) service....very sweet:-D AND if you watch carefully, you'll see the very important "Weinermobile" cargo..............

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z6mrL1KzbM[/media]

Hijack terminated:wink:

68t

i like the c141 too. went oversea several times on them. some time we have tv dinners or the box lunch to eat. . i sure miss it all. i flew from panama up to charleston, they sure had a lot of the big plane there. the air force was all way good to us army folks. thank you:-D

NEIOWA

we loaded a bunch in '02 from HAAF, supporting our sister Co's deployment to Africa. i ran the night shift, which, for whatever reasons was about 4 times as busy as the day shift.
Because at night the AF pilots are at the O-Club trolling. Then clock in at a convient hour the next morning to begin their shift driving.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Comfy flight too:)
Most comfortable flight I ever had was a C-17 from Kyrgzstan to Germany. We had one baggage pallet and about 40 pax. All of us sprawled out on the floor sleeping must have looked funny. It sure beat getting packed into airline type seats, on a seat pallet or like sardines on a commercial bird.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks