• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help buying a M35A2

Blackmagic94

Im looking at some GL auctions in KY right now.

First question is this, the trucks are said to run, so will GL let me drive it off the lot or it has to be towed off the lot for "loadout", maybe someone can explain that word for me as well.

Next question is this, I need to get it back to Tucson AZ, so are the trucks if properly maintained by a NG unit, are they capable of driving cross country with no failures if in good running order or am I asking for trouble.

If they need to be transported, what kind of trailer will actually fit these beasts, and will they be small enough to not need a wide load permit through certain states?

Any advice would be really appriacted.

Blackmagic94

Also i am big into making stuff make more power, its a mental illness i suffer from.

I have a really good friend who was a heavy line monkey in the USMC back in IEF 03 and he knows these trucks fairly well.

He was talking about changing the injector timing or something with a way of keyway, does that make sense? What kind of power improvement could we be looking at and are there any bottle necks in the downpipe or after, like cat converters or mufflers that restrict exhaust flow? Also what about increase boost if the fuel timing has been increased as well? Im very familiar with turbochargers, i have a 1200 Bhp turbo mustang and a 14 second powerstroke F250, but old school mech injection is not my strong suit.

Also where can i find replacement batteries, thinking it would be best to have two fresh ones to take with me when i pick her up if i win an auction.

Chief_919

In all honesty I would have the hauled that far. Until you have a truck in hand there are lots of unkopwns, especially if you have not inspeted it prior to bidding. "Runs" could mean idles with a bed head gasket and no brakes.

There are several truckers on here who can give you very reasonable quotes.

Blackmagic94

Im not paying a trucker to tow it, ill tow it myself, but just need to know where and what kind of goose neck trailer to rent to haul it if they will fit on it.

mahdey

14 second powerstroke...oh boy!! watch out lol. jk..but my cummins walks all over it. Actually there is a fuel screw that you can twist that will increase..fuel. Main thing though is to add a pryro and boost gauge.

Blackmagic94

14 second powerstroke...oh boy!! watch out lol. jk..but my cummins walks all over it. Actually there is a fuel screw that you can twist that will increase..fuel. Main thing though is to add a pryro and boost gauge.

Considering how stock my truck is its not to bad for a 6.0oh noe.

Yeah gauges are always a good thing to have. Is it possible to get 180-200 Bhp without blowing it up?

Also who the hell rents 18,000 GVWR plus goose neck trailers

G-Force

I guess if you took the catalytic converter and the muffler off it would make a difference in power.......but i think it would be pretty loud in the cab and it definitely wouldn't pass inspection......that is if you could find them to take them off............:roll:

kipman

Before you dive to deep into a deuce, read the tm, they are on the site for free, hate to see a new guy with a big problem.

Blood_of_Tyrants

The multifuel is not particularly suited to making a lot more power. Boost the turbo pressure and turn up the fuel and you will easily blow the thing up. A five ton with a 250 Cummins is much better to hotrod.

Blackmagic94

That is what i figured but you never know what the libtards do when they have power.

What size is the exhaust piping?

And still no answer on where to rent a trailer.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blackmagic, I'd edit your last post. They are really cracking down on politcal statements around here lately. Just don't want to see you get it trouble :wink:.

Keith_J

Good luck on the trailer, you need a 15,000 pound trailer with brakes, naturally. That means dual axle, dual wheels with at least 8 ply rated tires. It would be too much for a 3/4 ton truck IMHO.

If you intend to motor the M35 out of DRMO, you need to make double sure of the brakes. Meaning if the master cylinder is low, you have issues, I wouldn't recommend it. But if the master cylinder is topped off and there is no evidence of wheel seal leaks and most importantly, the brake hoses are in good shape, it can be done.

Check all driveline bolts, these like to back out. All universal joints. Adjust the parking brake, 0.015" feeler gauge. See the TM.

Inflate ALL tires to 50 PSI, 55 PSI is better for the fronts. Check coolant and watch the radiator cap during warmup, 1500 RPM. If you fill the radiator to the top, it will seep.

On the highway, you might get vibration above 45 MPH, only exceed this speed when there is no traffic and straight and level, if it goes away, you just have worn shock absorbers. You might be fine above 50 MPH, this is normal. But slow down on curves and uneven pavement. Generally, you do not want to be on throttle or brakes over rough pavement at highway speed.

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and they don't drive/steer/stop well at all on wet pavement. I have driven mine over the road three times so far, each time 2000-3000 miles, and the first thing I will say is that I had problems each time, even though the truck is well maintained. Fortunately each problem was fixable. The exahust manifold gasket blowing, that was a very annoying problem, especially then driving it 300 miles to where I could deal with that. Thouht i was going to choke on the fumes.

People have towed them with 1 ton pickups, but that is inadvisable or overtly dangerous regardless of the drvier skill. There have been accidents where through no fault of the driver, something went wrong.

I love a good adventure as much as the next person; I care more for random harrowing discoveries than for warm and cozy safety, but I would not tow a deuce on a trailer with a 1 ton pickup. If you do, just be real careful, eh?

Most people use a medium towbar and tow one M35 with another M35, and hook up the air for the brakes.

How about this: once you have determined it is drivable for a short distance, get it off base to a very nearby pre-arranged temporary storage/parking place where you can spend a couple days doing PMCS, and after you have done everything to it for the long haul, you cruise carefully on home at 45-50MPH.. That should not be too hard to arrange and it makes sense. Plus, a long drive at a low-ish speed will be a good shakedown. You might get to fix a few other little annoyances on the way. I am sure you will take many tools, don't forget the line wrenches and a spare tire flap and tube.

About the storage/parking place, some contingencies - one kind of place, like a welding shop with a big yard, along the highway, etc., would be for parking the thing for a while in case there is a major issue and you need to come back for it, and the other is more like the backside of a cheap motel, so you can work on it a day or so and not be rushed. If you have to change the oil and filters (which you should have a spare filter of each kind), just get it to a truck stop and let them do the oil so you don't have to deal with collecting the waste. It is perfectly acceptable to change the filters yourself, then down the road a ways, have them dump and refill the oil.

well there are all kinds of ways to do it. Back in the day, there was a SS member map, and a list of people that would help out with a place to work, etc. That was a long time ago, before the BBS got so large. Maybe this is still in effect. Anyway, if you plan, you will be good to go. Be sure to have an excess of funds just in case.

When you do this recovery, please take pictures and post them and describe your trip along the way as you go, because many truck stops and hotels have internet access.
We always like to read along with people's adventures and are eager to see all the pictures, even of the silliest things.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks