• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

packing pellets in my new turbo...

jesusgatos

I traded my C-series turbo for a D-series turbo, and the D-series turbo looks like it's in great shape - EXCEPT that the box was filled with packing pellets and a bunch of them are now stuck inside the turbo. I picked out as many as I could, and I've tried blowing it out, but it still sounds like a bicycle with baseball cards in the spokes when I spin it. Am I going to have to disassemble this thing? Argh...

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hell just run 'em though. Plastic is made from oil and It's a multifuel aint it?:twisted:

Where is you get the cat BTW? I never seen one like that with almost no hair. Must get kind of cold for the poor critter.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd try and get them out but I doubt they'd hurt anything if left in there because they're so soft and will fall apart fairly easy.

jesusgatos

which side of the turbo are they in? Exhaust side no problem just install and let it blow out.
Intake you need to clean out good.
Good luck
Both, unfortunately...

unbolt intake and clean....reinstall intake...not too hard
Would I need to order any gaskets or anything? I've got to order new gaskets to install the turbo anyway.

No pressurized air to blow it out with? Shop vac to pull it out with?
Yeah, I've tried compressed air and a shop vac.

Run it! They won't hurt anything.
Think so? Would YOU run it? I'm just going to feel kinda dumb if I get melted pellet goo throwing my turbine out-of-balance or something.

Dont the new packing peanuts dissolve in water? Drop a few in a some water and see, if they do, maybe you could just rinse out the turbo. If they aren't the bio friendly ones and are actually Styrofoam, acetone will dissolve them.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Dont the new packing peanuts dissolve in water? Drop a few in a some water and see, if they do, maybe you could just rinse out the turbo. If they aren't the bio friendly ones and are actually Styrofoam, acetone will dissolve them.
That's a good idea. I'll look into this tomorrow. Have a feeling I'm going to take it apart though, just for peace-of-mind. Which, uh, TM and I going to need?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't think you are supposed to take them apart and put them back together with out having them re-balanced. Might want to see if anyone "in the know" chimes in.

Keith_J

I don't think you are supposed to take them apart and put them back together with out having them re-balanced. Might want to see if anyone "in the know" chimes in.
As long as you do not remove the turbine or compressor, all is fine. Nothing special about the housing to snails gaskets.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there were something FUBAR about the turbo, I'd take it apart and fix it. That little peanut won't hurt a thing. I have seen rags go through turbos and not hurt them on both the compressor and turbine sides. If you believe the peanut is an issue, take the housing off and clean it out. They are very easy to do, and, Yes I would run it!
BTW, what kind of cat is that? Is it real? It looks cool, yet scary at the same time. My Niece saw it and said she has never seen one and she works at the Humane Society!

Jones

I'd say take it apart and make sure no peanuts are left in there. As is they probably wouldn't do much harm; but heated up and melted, they can stick to the turbine wheels which definately will lead to balance problems.

Taking the compressor and turbine housings off is not a big deal-- just a matter removing clamp(s) or bolts and retainers and lifting the housing off. You get into trouble when you start trying to take the cartridge (center section) apart. Do one side at a time so you can set the turbo down on the end with the housing still attached.
The exhaust side may take a little convincing due to heating and rust build-up.
If you don't already have a favorite-- a good solvent is heat riser cleaner, the stuff you squirt on an older car's exhaust manifold heat riser to free it up.
Shouldn't take much more than a lead or brass hammer. Make sure the housing comes off evenly all the way around. Tolerances are tight and you don't want to bend the tip of a compressor of turbine blade. Remember, some of the smaller turbos will spin up to around 100,000 rpm and at that speed it doesn't take much to throw them off balance.

Once you're sure all the foreign stuff is cleaned out; take a look around the inside. You're looking for rub marks where the turbine or compressor wheel has been rubbing against the inside of the housing.
Oily inside means a seal is leaking. Get these replaced as the engine will and sometimes does run on after shut-down 'cause it's sucking up and burning the crank-case oil. If the leak is bad enough the engine can run away and the only way to shut it down is to suffocate it with a board across the inlet (don't bother with a rag-- there's enough inlet air flow to simply take the rag away from you, inhale it and wrap it around the air filter).
And that's after / if you've been successful in wrestling the mushroom off.
A spooky proposition even if you're half expecting it.

If everything looks good then reassemble the turbo and check your shaft play.
To check side play; try to push the shaft tip side to side. .003" to .006" is acceptable. If you don't have a dial indicator, a feeler gauge will work between blade and housing.
Push the shaft away from you and measure the larger gap, pull the shaft towards you and measure the same gap again. Divide the difference by two and that'll be your side play from .000" centered to the maximum.
I've had them with a lot more and as long as they're not scraping against the inside of the housing they seem to work. It's still a good idea to rebuild one this worn far.
Check for end play by pushing the shaft in and out of the turbo. Allowable here is .001" to .003".
This really should be measured with something pretty true and accurate-- instead of relying on the "Well, it-looked-OK-to-me" method. Remember, .003" is the thickness of one sheet of paper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks