• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

compression ratio

Keith_J

thanks. someone told me it was 10 to one so you could use gas. just didn't make since.

That someone didn't understand how Otto and Diesel cycles function. Diesel fuel is rated on its cetane index, this is completely opposite of the octane or anti-knock index of gasoline.

Octane index is resistance to auto-ignition. Cetane index is the propensity for auto-ignition. The reason for the rather high (for direct injection) 22:1 compression ratio is to assure ignition of gasoline. And most aviation gasoline has much higher octane index, hence it is NOT an approved fuel as it might have unreliable ignition characteristics. And the addition of oil to gasoline reduces the octane index, making it auto-ignite easier.

The other adaption of the multifuel engines is lubrication of the injection pump internals with motor oil, most other distributor injection pumps are lubricated with the diesel fuel.

If you could find the injection nozzles with a star pattern, you could decrease the compression ratio of these multifuels by machining the domes in the piston and probably get a reliable 300 Hp.:idea: But they would be diesel only and I would not recommend increasing the governed engine speed.

Keith_J

just cant use high octane gas and mix it with oil 1 qt of clean oil to every 5 gal of gas...but I would stick with diesel or a mix of diesel and clean UMO
Most motor oils have appreciable ash content ans will eventually foul the combustion chambers. But the combustion chamber deposits are NOTHING compared to vegetable oils.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks