• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo porting

jesusgatos

In another thread, ken posted something about porting turbos,

I have one on a used engine. I can overhaul it before a trade if intrested. And do the casing mods of so desired.
5tonpuller,
I put 3 different angles on the intake side of the compressor side housing and blend them together with radiuses. And polish out the rough casting on the discharge. This takes turbulance out on the discharge and the intake is able to swallow more air. The exaust gas casing it also deburred and bored on the output. This had produced good results on the flow bench.
...but he didn't elaborate on that. In all the searching I've done online, I've only een able to find advice about porting turbos that are specific to different vehicles; suggesting that what works for one application might not be good for another. Are there any resident deuce turbo-gurus here on SS? I think I've got to take my new turbo apart, so if there's anything that I can do while I'm in there I'd sure love to know what!

Crackerjax

yep he does it the turbo i sent him was slam rusted up rock solid it had been sitting with water in the pipe for about 10 years.....he made it work again....good guy knows his stuff i think he works for a high end turbo supplyer but all the stuff that it sent to him by forum members is his own thing not the supplyers.....give him a pm

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jesus, The casings are very rough cast. This causes alot of turbulance in the air and exaust gas flow. By machining the bores in my lathe and porting/polishing the casings the airflow can be increased. This will not add boost butit will add CFM's of air through the engine. To increase boost you need to increase your fuel rate. The more flow the lower the EGT's. The elbow from the turbo to the intake manafold is also a good place to polish. It's very rough casted.

jesusgatos

Ken, would you mind telling us what might cost to have you work over our turbos? Or maybe you could send me a PM?

I was looking at some other turbo-related threads and noticed that the LDS engines used a different turbo that has a waste-gate. What's the deal with that turbo? I'd like to do a whole LDS engine-swap eventually (whenever I can find/afford one), but in the meantime I'm wondering if that turbo could be adapted to the LDT. I was thinking that I could add a BOV to the LDT turbo, but aren't most of those operated by vacuum?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks