• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ever tow a 151 with a deuce

combat32

I would think it would be pretty straight forward, just wondering how it might act on a medium towbar behind a deuce, only going about 10 miles or so.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...I've never seen or heard of that being done, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been.

Not sure how you would hook it up...and the height difference? You darn sure couldn't see that little rascal behind you...lol.:roll:

We have an itty bitty towbar someone made for that purpose. Has a ball type hitch and can be pulled with a pickup etc.

KsM715

I think they will, someone here, said they put 151 shackle mounts on their civy Jeep to tow it behind their MV.

KsM715

I second what DaveP said about losing the power steering. I had a p/s hose blow out on mine and thought I was going to die before I got it stopped. Scared the hell out of me as it had a mind of it's own and darted all over the road. Luckily I was only a couple blocks from home when it happened but it kicked my arse just trying to get it that far at a crawl.
Here are a couple pics of towing a jeep behind an 818. I used M151 bumper shackle mounts on the jeep and the tow bar attached perfectly. I also took an old military trailer harness and spliced it to a set of magnetic mount tail lights. The 12v bulbs were swapped for 24v.
Attached Thumbnails

I copied this from my 818 recovery thread. I still haven't figured out how to link stuff

KsM715

Sorry that paragraph and attachments should be in quotes. That was posted by SteelSoldiers member Armada in my 818 recovery thread.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done it but the Mutts don't like it. You have to tie the steering wheel straight or the tires will go away from straight taking a corner and then they will not self center. So with the steering wheel tied straight, you end up dragging the front end through corners. The towbar adapters have to be the kind with deuce size pin holes on one side and the Jeep/Mutt sized holes when you flip it over.

KsM715

The only scary part was wondering if I was going to go for a fourth hernia when I had to un-hook the thing.

I now have a medium tow bar and StreetBikeDepot and his gang get to mess around with the heavy one.

vtdeucedriver

I have done it but the Mutts don't like it. You have to tie the steering wheel straight or the tires will go away from straight taking a corner and then they will not self center. So with the steering wheel tied straight, you end up dragging the front end through corners. The towbar adapters have to be the kind with deuce size pin holes on one side and the Jeep/Mutt sized holes when you flip it over.

He is right. Have a good friend that towed his M151 from ME to our rally here in VT and swore that he would never do it again. That the 151 will not track straight.

If your only going 10 miles, I would not worry about it, just go slow. But I do know for a fact that the M151 fits NICE in the bed of the M35!!!:)

nattieleather

What was said above...the 151 gets squirrly being towed behind anything. But behind a pick up you can see when the tires get locked to the left or right on a cuve, feel the drag and can stop and fix it. With a duce, you won't know it and drag it down the street. Tie the wheels straight and then go. Take it easy and it will be fine.

Wile E. Coyote

I've towed lots of them - once even all the way from Malmstrom AFB to Seattle. Everyone's right in that they do tow squirrely, so I generally bungee-corded the steering wheel to allow the wheel to travel a limited amount for cornering etc. without winding up over at either far extreme. Some are more squirrely than others too -- one I towed without any cord on the steering wheel and it caused no trouble at all.

Medium tow bar works with the ends that use the smaller pin (I just say 'Deuce size' or 'Jeep size'), though I think you have to flip them upside-down. (Been awhile since I last towed one.)

One problem is that it's hard to see it back there in the mirrors and yes - you don't feel it behind you. I was coming through the mountains with one on the towbar and people kept passing me and pointing (never a good sign), until one guy was so animated about it I had to pull over to look. Yeah. Burnt the right rear tire clean off the thing, and the rim was sparking on the pavement. :roll: The patient survived, and now I have another rim-shaped paperweight to stop tarps blowing away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks