• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assistance from Forest Park Ga to Raleigh NC

mrgerke81

Hello steelsoldiers,

I finally have cleared the EUC hurdle. I will be traveling to Forest Park GA from Raleigh NC to pick up my new deuce. I thought it might be a good idea to have some contacts along the route in case of any trouble. I will be leaving Raleigh Wed evening (10/7/09) and picking up the deuce Thur morning. Hopefully with no major problems I can be on the road by 10am. I am thinking this trip will take between 10-12 hours. I am planning on traveling back roads instead of getting on interstate. I think it will be a better ride, plus more to look at to pass the time. I will have a chase vehicle with an arsenal of tools and supplies. I guess the main thing I would need help with is towing it somewhere if a major breakdown were to occur. Here is a rough guess of the route I will take unless Mr. Garmin tells me otherwise. Please private message me.

I can't say enough thanks to all the help I have gotten on here from the last time I purchased a deuce. So Thanks again.

Mike Gerke

1.Head south on Phillips Dr toward Forest Pkwy
0.1 mi
2.Take the 1st left onto Forest Pkwy
3.2 mi
3.Turn right at GA-42/Moreland Ave/US-23 Continue to follow GA-42/US-23
9.1 mi
4.Continue on Hwy-138 E/GA-138
14.1 mi
5.Turn left at GA-138/GA-20 Continue to follow GA-138
20.3 mi
6.Continue straight
0.6 mi
7.Slight right at GA-10/US-78
17.5 mi
8.Turn right at GA-10/GA-8/US-78 Continue to follow GA-10/US-78
7.7 mi
9.Turn left at N Thomas St
0.3 mi
10.Turn right at North Ave
1.4 mi
11.Continue on Danielsville Rd/GA-106/GA-S891
0.5 mi
12.Slight right at Hull Rd
1.1 mi
13.Slight left to stay on Hull Rd
495 ft
14.Slight left at GA-8/US-29
12.0 mi
15.At the traffic circle, take the 2nd exit onto GA-8/General Daniel Ave S/US-29 Continue to follow GA-8/US-29
25.2 mi
16.Continue on Royston Hwy
1.1 mi
17.Continue on Athens St
0.8 mi
18.Turn right at W Howell St
0.5 mi
19.Slight left at Richardson St
390 ft
20.Take the 1st right onto E Franklin St/US-29 Continue to follow US-29
Entering South Carolina
21.2 mi
21.Turn left at S Murray Ave/SC-81/US-29 Continue to follow US-29
2.2 mi
22.Slight right toward E River St/US-178/US-29/US-76
0.1 mi
23.Slight right at E River St/US-178/US-29/US-76
0.5 mi
24.Turn left at Bypass 29 N/US-29
1.0 mi
25.Slight right to stay on Bypass 29 N/US-29 Continue to follow US-29
14.2 mi
26.Turn right at Shiloh Rd
1.0 mi
27.Turn left at Shiloh Church Rd
0.2 mi
28.Take the 1st right onto Hurricane Creek Rd
0.7 mi
29.Turn right at SC-17
0.1 mi
30.Continue on Old Williamston Rd
2.7 mi
31.Turn right at Anderson Rd/SC-81
8.7 mi
32.Slight right at S Main St
0.3 mi
33.Take the 3rd left onto Oneal St
0.2 mi
34.Take the 2nd right onto S Academy St
1.4 mi
35.Turn left at N Church St
0.7 mi
36.Slight right at US-29/Wade Hampton Blvd Continue to follow US-29
27.7 mi
37.Turn left at W St John St
0.5 mi
38.Slight left to stay on W St John St
1.2 mi
39.Slight left at E Main St/US-29 Continue to follow US-29
28.5 mi
40.Turn right at SC-5/York Rd Continue to follow SC-5
6.9 mi
41.Continue on W Hwy-55/Clover Hwy/SC-55 Continue to follow W Hwy-55/SC-55
15.5 mi
42.Turn left at SC-557
6.6 mi
43.Slight right at Charlotte Hwy/SC-49 Entering North Carolina
3.0 mi
44.Continue on NC-49/York Rd Continue to follow NC-49
15.1 mi
45.Continue on S Tryon St
7.6 mi
46.Slight right at NC-49/University City Blvd Continue to follow NC-49
12.9 mi
47.Continue on Hwy-49 S
2.5 mi
48.Slight right at Hwy-49 N/NC-49 Continue to follow NC-49
45.3 mi
49.Slight right at Shana Ln
0.2 mi
50.Slight left at W Dixie Dr/US-64 Continue to follow US-64
34.8 mi
51.Take exit 378 for US-64 Bus toward Pittsboro
0.4 mi
52.Merge onto US-64 W
3.1 mi
53.At the traffic circle, take the 3rd exit onto East St/US-64 Continue to follow US-64

exbrown

Looking at your directions, you will be traveling through downtown Greenville, SC as well as several other congested roads. That is not a route I would want to take. The shortest route would be I-85, and I am assuming that you are trying to avoid the interstate. Traveling through South Caroling From Atlanta towards Raleigh, I would take Highway 11 from the SC/GA border on I-85 all the way to Gaffney, SC. That would take you almost to the NC line on I-85 with very few stops or traffic. Highway 11 is a scenic highway and only goes through a few very small towns.

If you take this route, I would be available in case of emergency in Oconee and Pickens counties.

Good luck,

Bill W

I also believe the interstate would be safer
there would be less stopping/braking and starting, less turns and there is always a shoulder to pull over on to and the engine can pretty much just chug along at a constant speed/rpm.

TIGERFANS2

My vote goes to the interstate too. Over in the right lane you'll get interested looks, slowing folks down on a two lane in curvy, hilly country will get you other looks. Just drive way ahead, know which lane you'll have to be in around Greensboro and ?
My son and I went around Kansas City at 4:30 p.m. on I-35, 29 and 635, piece of cake

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote Interstate also, but for another reason. Truck stop fuel on the interstates is 10 to 15 cents a gallon cheaper than on the byways, and you will be using over 50 gallons on the trip - enough for lunch at a fast food place. Also consider when you will reach metropolitan areas so you will not be trying to roll through them during the morning or evening rush hours (when all the roads become parking lots). You will really find out how well (or not) your brakes work in rush hour traffic. And, you are easier to find in the side of the interstate than in some ditch on the side of a byway.2cents

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interstate! Your clutch and leg will thank you! I'm constantly amazed at what I see on the interstate at 55mph instead of 75-80.

I'm in Columbia, but if you get into a super jam, I can help.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offense, but I believe you are making a very big mistake not taking the interstate. I recently picked up a Deuce at Ft Indiantown Gap in Pennsylvania and drove it 17 hours straight through to North Georgia. I kept it at 52 max speed on the interstate. The portions of the trip not on the interstate were much much worse than the interstate with traffic lights, missed turns, drivers pulling out in front of me, repeated braking and shifting, etc. I also recommend pulling into each and every weight station as I have heard of others having problems if they didn't. I pulled through all of them and was waved through each time with no difficulties.

Make sure you check your brake fluid before starting and remember it takes DOT 5 silicone fluid, although I'm sure you already knew that. The GL guy told me several stories about people picking up their Deuce, finding that it had brakes, and starting out, only to have their brakes fail during the trip due to leaks and/or low fluid.
Good Luck and have fun!

GoHot229

Near Wadesbourough NC. any problems I'm here.........on a map, south-east of Charolette 50 miles. Theres safe haven here if you need it, plus tools etc. ps. take a cushion to set on, the Deuce seat is not butt friendly for long distances......

Last edited:

mrgerke81

I am going to take the advice and stick to the interstates. I am trying to convince a 69 year old to come with me. He was a wheeled vehicle mechanic in the national guard, truck driver, diesel mechanic and retired with the Fire Dept with 30 years. I am thinking he will be invaluable experience to have on the trip.

TIGERFANS2

I am going to take the advice and stick to the interstates. I am trying to convince a 69 year old to come with me. He was a wheeled vehicle mechanic in the national guard, truck driver, diesel mechanic and retired with the Fire Dept with 30 years. I am thinking he will be invaluable experience to have on the trip.

Be nice to have someone to chat with on the trip back.

Yes, I made a funny :grin:

mrgerke81

Is there anyone that lives close by Atlanta I could call on in an emergency? If I evaluate truck and do not think it is road worthy I would arrange for a tow back. I just would need somewhere to store it for a couple of days.

TadB

I live about an hour from Forrest Park . Any problems gimme a hollar. I can pick it up and bring it here or bring any kind of tools you might need. PM for my number.

mrgerke81

Left Forest Park around 10am. Stopped for fuel near base and near SC/NC border. Made it home around 5:30pm. No major problems. Truck did well. I will have pics on tommorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks