• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My contribution to all cucv owners

4bogginchevys

I'm glad to be able to return the favor of info.....here it is.

There was a post a while back I found yesterday about non isolated ground alts on the driver side. The thread indicated that a 74 cadillac alt was 78 amp and would work/fit into desired spot. Only half right. The cadillac alt is same size but lacs lower rear ear leaving you 1 bolt short of a good install, I guess it would work in a pinch. I got lucky in my search for an alt that was available at napa PART # 213-4022. It fits an 86 chevy van with 5.7(350) and thats it, so watch the junkyards. Even better is that it has everything but an isolated ground and is available with 100amps. less than 100 bucks!

Next is my own invention, if you go to a civy truck and pull the drive and pass batt trays(pass with coolant bottle attached) you can eliminate the cracked coolant bottle from 1984 on driver side and put it where it went factory. Hold on, I know what your thinking, i'm defacing my 1008.
I did this because with mods more parts are available commonly and it allows the addition of extra batt on drivers side to run snow plow or other service device and old parts could be re-installed in a couple of hours if you wanted to sell the truck or something.

Wire front batts in parallel like civy truck and attach rear batt as you already do.

I've asked around and this mod should not change the voltage at critical spots but could help those of us in cold climates get that extra bump from starter on cold mornings as well as run my plow without draining my starting system.

I hope some or all of this info helps the cucv owners here. i've only had my truck 10 days and i've been through volt guage issues, alt issues (both) and weird electrical smell in cab that I have not tracked down yet. Sometimes it helps to be unemployed tempoRARELY like me! The truck has gotten the attention!:)

Westech

CPL
I don't know what your talking about there are only 2 bolts on that alternator. Its a large case GM unit and I posted the Autozone part number. Dont tell me its wrong its in my 09 right now.
Also adding one battery to the 12v side wont do a THING for starting, only more amps for the 12V side. The starter is 24V so if you want more amps you would have to install two more batteries to get the 24V. Good idea for a plow but only half correct.

12vctd

I kno nothing about a 74 caddy alt working but I do know a 84 caddy deville with the 4.1 fits then all you need to do is work out ground.

Buckmaw

They actually had a 100amp alternator in the 1975 Caddy and it fits JUST fine.
The pulley is just a hair smaller so you have to tighten it up a little more, but it runs just fine... Cosmetically it is identical but has no isolated ground.

I will see if I can get the part number. I got it at O'Reilly's for $95.

Here you go... Its listed under 1975 caddy commercial

Item Detail | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Attachments

Last edited:

AndrewH

Ok, Goofy question. I have a deuce so I'm not sure this helps me a lot but I like to think I'll have a cucv soon, SOOOOO. Is the alternator isolated internally> and If so could someone post a picture of it and tell me how it differs internally from the other cucv alternator?

12vctd

a isolated ground alt is ground keep the ground sep from the alt case and use a cable to connect to the systems central ground, a case ground alt uses the alt body to ground to the engine block. I refer often to http://kb-kbh.dk/shipslib/el_ombord/alternatorhandbook_ocr.pdf its writen by a extremely smart man thou it apllie to boats it covers just about every light automotive alt i have come across

Last edited:

Buckmaw

Ok, Goofy question. I have a deuce so I'm not sure this helps me a lot but I like to think I'll have a cucv soon, SOOOOO. Is the alternator isolated internally> and If so could someone post a picture of it and tell me how it differs internally from the other cucv alternator?
Dont quote me on this, but I think there are some insulating washers where the ground lug connects to the case, thus isolating the lug from the case.

Very timely thread, I spent part of my day going thru a junkyard to find iso-gnd alternators.
My M1009 is missing both sides. I got lucky, I think, and found (2) alts that should do the trick. I will take them into the auto electric shop for testing and repairs.

4bogginchevys

ok, ok didn't mean to rile anyone up....I did the research and this is what I turned up. I dont know how different things are from state to state or if your results will be the same 800 miles away... where I bought my iso ground alt I asked what had the same case minus the ground, this is what I was told and when I called napa and ordered 1 they gave me what I asked for and thats that. I did lookl at the 74 caddy alt at the store and although it was the right size it lacked the lower inside ear....my alts both bolt on with (3) bolts...1upper for adjustment and 2 lower for strength.

by the way amperage is very important to starting...not just volts(correct amperage is key)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks