• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 wheel question

Buckmaw

Did GM make a steel, 16 inch wheel that would fit the Hub Centric setup
on the M1009?

The reason I ask is it is almost impossible to find used 15" tires these days.
I can get 285-75-16's (33's) all day long for rock bottom prices.

It would be worth it to me to switch to a 16" steel wheel.

Westech

CPL
Not that i know of.. I have seen 16.5 rims but that was a custom batch made for a member here. And here is a question...... I would think the cost of a new rim would be more $$ by the time you got a "used" tire then just buying the correct new tire. 31x10.5x15 for the stock rim.. call me crazy but just a thought

Buckmaw

Not that i know of.. I have seen 16.5 rims but that was a custom batch made for a member here. And here is a question...... I would think the cost of a new rim would be more $$ by the time you got a "used" tire then just buying the correct new tire. 31x10.5x15 for the stock rim.. call me crazy but just a thought
If GM made a 16" hub centric wheel then I could find some used. I just didnt want to waste a lot of time and I figured someone here would know.

I picked up a set of 15" rally wheels for $10/wheel last weekend to use for spares in case mine get damaged.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, GM made a 16" 6 bolt pattern wheel. It was a "half ton" truck option.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rims that come on an M1009 are hub centered? I never knew that. Why not just go with a regular lug centered rim?

POOR WHITE BOY

1978 and a 16 inch wheel - not true again , in 1978 all 1/2 ton trucks had 15 inch wheels and all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had 16.5 wheels. They did not offer a 6 lug 16 inch wheel on the 1/2 ton till well into the 1990's. I will argue this all day long. I have a library full of gmc/chevrolet truck data books,parts books, service manuals ,truck special order guides. The big 10 / heavy half models came with extra capacity springs and p235/75r15 tires and they only came in 2wd models - ALL 2WD 1/2 TON MODELS WERE 5 LUG AND 4X4 1/2 MODELS WERE 6 LUG

Last edited:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure when they started but they were made, I just took off a set of 16 inch rims off my M1009 (6 hole) and put some 15's back on it.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1978 and a 16 inch wheel - not true again , in 1978 all 1/2 ton trucks had 15 inch wheels and all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had 16.5 wheels. They did not offer a 6 lug 16 inch wheel on the 1/2 ton till well into the 1990's. I will argue this all day long. I have a library full of gmc/chevrolet truck data books,parts books, service manuals ,truck special order guides. The big 10 / heavy half models came with extra capacity springs and p235/75r15 tires and they only came in 2wd models - ALL 2WD 1/2 TON MODELS WERE 5 LUG AND 4X4 1/2 MODELS WERE 6 LUG

Lol !!!

Well, I hope you will enjoy arguing with yourself then. I do not have a vast library but, without trouble I found this page. I'm sure there will be others among the vast amounts of GM literature that is out there.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

These trucks are lug centric, not hub centric. GM didn't go to hub centric wheels until the 99+ body style trucks.

Try www.summitracing.com . I have 16x8 aluminum 6 lug wheels on my '89 K5 and my spare is a 16x7 6 lug wheel. All are aftermarket. Only difference is our trucks need about 3.5-5" of backspacing and most of the 16" 6x5.5" pattern wheels out there have 4.5"or more due to them being intended for the fullsize IFS trucks.

91W350

GM made lots of 6 lug 16 inch wheels, they are probably too narrow for this application though. From the late 1930s through the early 1960s all half tons had six lug wheels, most of them were 16s. Toyota 4x4 wheels are six lug as well. I used to run aftermarket Chevrolet wagon wheels on my LandCruisers. I think Nissan and Isuzu six lug truck wheels also fit the bolt pattern. I thought about having a set of Toyota alloys powder coated as they are super tough.

bigtruck

I'm in the same boat--- it's time for new tires on my M1009, and it just so happens I have a set of 285/75R16 all terrains with low mileage that would look/fit/function great on this vehicle; however, I have no 16" wheels... Any ideas for cheap 16" wheels that will fit correctly...? I could probably get the wheels off of an 89 chevy k2500 (7200 gvrw- 6 lug) in the area for cheap,, but I'm concerned that they won't fit correctly... And, unfortunately, I don't have access to it for measurements or have the liberty of just pulling one off and trying it... Anybody know for sure if these would work,, or have any for sale that would work,, or have a super cheap aftermarket recommendation...? Any advise would be appreciated.

AJMBLAZER

These trucks are lug centric, not hub centric. GM didn't go to hub centric wheels until the 99+ body style trucks.

Try www.summitracing.com . I have 16x8 aluminum 6 lug wheels on my '89 K5 and my spare is a 16x7 6 lug wheel. All are aftermarket. Only difference is our trucks need about 3.5-5" of backspacing and most of the 16" 6x5.5" pattern wheels out there have 4.5"or more due to them being intended for the fullsize IFS trucks.
...coughahemcough...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks