• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing all filters/oil and what not.

Josh

well my friend hooked me up with 7 gallons of free 15/40 oil, so i decited to do the entire filter/fluid swap i could.

i got new fuel filters also and i keep reading conflicting things saying that the gaskets with the filters will work, then i read some that say they wont work. i just want to make sure i got the right gaskets before i go and take all my filters off, im going a on a road trip this weekend so i if i have to order the gaskets or something im going to hold off on doing this until i get back.

i got the napa 3511, and 3512 filters, so any input that is helpful would be greatly appricated.

I did search and found many threads, but i have found many conflicting answers.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I know it can be confusing given the many many posts pertaining to this question. But I have to ask...what is the 3512 filter for???

The 3511 is the primary fuel filter, and by the way DOES NOT come with the correct gasket...you need gasket #5131.

The two secondary fuel filters are #3540 and you will need gasket #5070 to work with them.

The two oil filters are the only ones that come with the proper gaskets, plus a few other gaskets as well. But the filter number is #1133. Just be careful as the gasket is paper and if you allow the canister to spin while you are torquing the bolt down the gasket could tear and cause a leak.

I'm sure there are other members who use different filters from different manufacturers, or even have found different NAPA filters that will work, but this is what I have. By the way, if you didn't catch it, all of those numbers are NAPA part numbers.

Josh

under the parts cross refernce page under 2nd fuel filter X2 the napa part number is 3512. im guessing the napa partnumber cross page is wrong then.

Josh

okay so the primary filter has the correct gasket. perfect, off to napa i go to get the other gaskets, thanks guys.

tbh there should be a thread stickied in here with all of this information, all the belts, gaskets, filters, the common stuff people will use alot. id def help sift threw older thread to try and compile it.

the napa cross over sheet is good use, but the first time i tried it to find i gave up after about 20 minutes and lucky someone had it linked in the sig.

Edit - Well i just called napa they say the #5070 doesnt exist....the hell.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes it does...it comes packed in the filter # 3148. I ordered them when I bought my deuce in July, so I know they have them and can get them...be more persistent...or buy the filter I listed and take the gasket from it.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see where the confusion comes from now. Especially when you start talking about the gaskets and filters...this is the first time I've ever heard about the 3512 filter. As to the gaskets....since they fit into grooves around the canister and a thousandth of an inch off of, or adder to the ID or the OD doesn't affect the fit much at all. But that same thousandth of an inch makes a huge difference in part numbers, so while I may be using a certain gasket, another member is using a completely different gasket with equally good results.

:lost:

Josh

wow i called another guy i know at napa, number comes right up, they have to bring them down from spokan tho, so it will take a week. =/

i hate napa some times, least i got gaskets on the way. well i guess ill change my primary before my trip and change the secondaries when i get back.

thanks for all the help guys.

coolnick73

I went to Napa to get the primary fuel filter gasket and they said they don't carry 5131 anymore. I replaced the primary but probably threw away the gaskets that came with it. Any ideas?

cessnatwin

WHen you change your fuel filters remove the entire housing and put it on the work bench and install the filter o rings, it is so much easier and will save a ton of time! trust me!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA also carries the 5131 gasket, or at least can still get it...who ever you talked to was just too lazy to look it up. I ordered then just this summer. They are also packaged with the 3113 filter.

NAPA filters and gaskets are nothing but WIX filters with the first part number dropped off...go the this website...WIX Filters Cross Reference and look up the WIX part number 15131 (this is the WIX number for the NAPA 5131 gasket) and the resulting information will give you the detailed dimensions of the gasket and a list of all of the filters that this gasket is packaged with.

cessnatwin

Mine were a pain in the butt, so removing them in 10 minutes allowed me to place them on the bench and not fight with a gasket that was sealed in there, cause they can be a real BI##h! If they are a problem and pissing you off just put them on the bench to install the seal! thats all I am saying!

coolnick73

NAPA also carries the 5131 gasket, or at least can still get it...who ever you talked to was just too lazy to look it up.
Oh, they ordered me a 5131 gasket but it had to be shipped from Omaha, NE. The gasket was $2 and shipping was $4. When I went to pick it up it was for a 46-51(?) chevy 6 cyl engine water pump. I got my $2 back but had to eat the shipping. I will defiantly ask to see the picture on their computer from now on (and I probably won't stop at that particular NAPA store again).

I looked up the WIX # and they have listed a bunch of other auto stores.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks