• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodged a bullet

blzrgb

I just got done putting new glow plugs in one of my 1008's and of course the one hardest to get to was swelled up like a mushroom. I used the visegrips and after bout 30 minutes it came out. Did not break off !! It was the Wellman brand. Are they known for swelling ?

acmunro

Even glow plugs that aren't supposed to swell can. Kind of like the unsinkable ship thing.
Wellmans are one of the better ones not real likely to swell. I usually use AC 60G I have had good luck with them when using a manual glow plug set up. I have also had good luck with the OTC glow plug extractor. Strait even pull. Glad you got yours out.

12vctd

thats a really hard question with tons of variables, first the type of plug used, then the rest of the glow plug system(its condition) then theres the enviroment you live in. I try to replace all of mine in 2 year intervals. Thou I have a 95 7.3 powerstroke service truck that I just replaced the plugs in they were the original plugs. Every one came out smoothly, just figured I would give the service truck some love before this winter

Jersey 93 Ty

Regarding swollen glow plugs... A couple of different mechanics each told me to loosen the plug and pull it out until it wedges, then crank the engine over and blow it out...

What the heck! That sounds crazy. I have never tried it. Has anyone else?
I tried it multiple times... those buggers were just too stubborn to come out. Maybe the ones you have won't be as bad as mine, so its still worth a shot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks