• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce look over by more experienced eyes

broman78

I recently purchased a deuce and my euc just cleared. I will be picking up a m35a2 with white engine & drop sides and a M105a2. I read the all the checklist posts but I just want some people who have more experience than me to look over the pictures of my truck. Under the hood I have to screw in a line that goes to an injector. I need the dimensions for a piece of plywood cause my battery box is missing. Also how do you lube your turbo? I just ordered a turn switch, 3 lever light switch, and master power switch from combst32. Is there anything special about hooking up the master power switch and which wire will it be. These last few weeks it has been raining like crazy, since my truck has had its exhaust pipe uncovered is there anything that I need to be worried about with the rain? Would the water drain back into the turbo? If you need bigger pictures I can upload them to my server and provide a link.

Thanks again

Attachments

Last edited:

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water can't reach the turbo. Just don't stand close to it when you start it as you will blow dirty water all over that side of the truck. These trucks sit all the time without covers on the stacks. You can't mix and match the wiring to the light switch, etc. They are all plugs that are sized/matched to what they are going to, for the most part. There should be a big round plug with a lot of pins hanging down behind the dash where your light switch goes. That gets plugged into the back of the light switch. Same with the turn signal, which you can just make out in one of your photos. I can't see an injector line that's missing anywhere, so I'm not sure how to direct you. Truck looks clean.

I also don't have dimensions with me on the battery box and I'm not close to any of my trucks. Should be able to acquire a box relatively easily and cheaply. Building one works too. I'll re-look at the photos for the injector line.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, No, not no. 2 injector! I see what you mean. Odd that it's out. Got to ask yourself why it's like that and plan accordingly. No.2 is not easy as it's behind the oil filters. The steel fuel line does not bend easily either so you may have to loosen the other end of the line at the IP. As well as some of the clamps holding it tight with the other lines. I had No. 2 line break on me while driving. I didn't have a replacement nor could I fix. But I tried valiantly along the side of the road. to get it off, I had to take the oil filters off. What a mess. Be prepared. If I were you, I would try to pick up another injector (in case the threads are stripped) and No. 2 fuel line again, in case the threads are stripped. Bring something to catch the oil if you remove the filters and rags/oil mats to clean up. Especially if you are doing this on-base. Which you may or may not be able to do. Removing the injectors is easy, but just be careful of the plastic return lines going across the top from one injector to the other. They are fragile in my mind and can crimp easy. They stick in there pretty far so you have to bend them to get them out of the injector. Good luck. Again, looks like a nice truck.

1qwkgoat

I can get dimensions for the battery box tonight. On a side not looks like a D turbo. For the injector line, might be a good idea to try and take a spare injector. It's unhooked for a reason, question is whether the line is bad or the injector was bad and they just didn't finish replacing them.

Last edited:

broman78

thanks for the info about the injector. I will get one asap. but by looking @ the picture it looks like the line sprayed fuel over the engine recently. But for such an easy fix not worth the risk. Are injector universal do I have to get a number 2 injector. Also how do u lube the turbo & compressor?

Last edited:

1qwkgoat

I think the injectors are the same, but not 100% positive. The turbo and compressor are oiled by the engine oil. You unhook the oil feed line to the turbo and send some oil down it. I'm not sure if there is a way to prelube the compressor.

1qwkgoat

Has the master power switch been reloacated to beneath the steering column to the right of the air filter indicator? It looks like a master power switch off a 5 ton

Keith_J

On the injector, it looks like someone previewing it was trying to start it and was trying to bleed the lines. But failed so they left it disconnected. Either GL lot staff or an idiot. The problem is most likely a stuck control collar actuator, a real easy fix. What you do is pull the engine stop cover, AKA timing cover, 2 standard slot screws. Note the control mechanism, it needs to freely move, if it doesn't, you have found the problem!

Next cut the safety wire (bring some 26 gauge stainless steel safety wire, ask an A&P) on the screws. Pull the clevis pin holding the control rod to the actuator and push the rod out. Take a picture and then remove the two screws. Pull the control unit out of the IP, being careful to not lose the pawl, it might drop out!

Now that it is removed, carefully pull the pawl and put in a safe place. Try freeing the shaft in the assembly with solvent, Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV works fast but some units may need disassembly. Here, you need to have watch-repair skills. Take a picture noting the alignment of the arm on the shaft. Bend the tabs on the retainer, remove the nut with a 7/16" wrench, holding the shaft with a 3/8" open end. Carefully tap the shaft out, it is splined to the arm and should make reassembly easier BUT the shaft/arm alignment MUST BE EXACT! If the solvent didn't free it, the shaft will need to be fully tapped clear, USE A 1/4" BRASS PUNCH ONLY!!! NO HARD STEEL, the ONLY SEAL is the precise fit of the shaft in the hub!

Clean and reassemble, using the spline to properly index the shaft to the arm. When installing, the pawl must engage the slot in the collar, this is best done by putting a dab of grease in the pawl hole, then inserting the pawl horizontal when the arm is in the 7:30 position (collar is all the way down, use a mirror to see).

I have written a post with pictures if you need any more info.

broman78

I.m not sure I was thinking they replaced my ignition switch with a different switch. but that is just going by the location of the switch. 1qwkgoat you have been a big help to me on answering ;y questions.

1qwkgoat

I never thought of what keith said about somebody trying to bleed the system. You can send me a PM tonight around 6:30pm central time, reminding me to measure the battery box.. I have it set up so my phone gets a text when I get a pm, and I should be working on my deuce around that time. Where is yours located?

broman78

my duece is located @ Red RiverArmy Depot in Hooks so it is only about 15 miles from my house. I know of a place down the road about 2 miles where I can work on the truck cause u can't work on the truck in the yard.

cyruscat

I remember that truck back when I previewed all of them at RRAD on Event 4663.

That truck and another parked right beside it (missing driveshaft) were both Air Force trucks. See big blue instruction plate on dash.

I ended up winning the M35A2 w/winch parked right in front of yours.

I went over there last Friday (live 90 miles into AR.) and checked mine real close and jump started it. Fired right up and runs great, was really sweating what to do if it didn't!
Drove it back and forth in parking slot but all they would let me do.

Waiting on my EUC now, maybe its coming soon now that you got yours from same event.

Yard boss Ms. Neally is a real piece of work, Ha-Ha!!!! Tear the hide right off your backside if you ask to many questions.....

Guy with tire shop up East Hwy. 82, Carl Prewitt, may can help you with parking spot and working on it. I have stopped in and talked tires and Deuce with him a couple times and he is real nice fellow. He has a "Humungous" selection of military tires fror sale, 395 MVT tire with 90% tread for $200.

Good luck,

broman78

Yeah Ms Neally is a piece of cake but I have found out if you just play it low key with her you will do alright. I have talked to Carl several times I like to stop by and see what goodies Carl has. Combst32 you are helping me get the truck out, with your parts from the magical dumpster. I appreciate your offer.

1qwkgoat

Dam, I forgot to measure that battery box all weekend. I got side tracked, I'll get them tonight. If you still need them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks