• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold startig

O.D. Fever

I have a m35a2 that hates to start below 50 deg. It has the Quick Start either system install on it. The thermistat is interuping the ground to the solinoid. I can use freeze spray on the thermistat and it starts working. I called Quickstart and asked them what temp does this thermistat close the circut? They said 70 deg.. So I orderd a new one and installed it.. Same problem. I can jumper it out, but then it might get bumped and by by engine. Has anyone else had this prolem, or did I just buy a new defective thermistat??? Joe

SasquatchSanta

This is confusing. Are you saying that your ether system has a thermostat in it that won't allow the system to deliver ether to the engine above a certain temperature?

I'm not familiar with the military ether system. The civi ether shot system I added to my deuce doesn't have a thermostat or anything else that blocks ether being delivered.

SasquatchSanta

I guess I can see how a thermostat to safeguard some idiot doseing a hot engine with ether would be prudent given the possible attitude of some of the young troops that might drive these trucks but if it was giving me problems I'd bypass it.

I've got a generic ignition switch wired into my system that requires a key to activate the ether. I guess it all depends on how close you want to keep the vehicle to stock.

dittle

I thought the military switch was set between 30 - 40 degrees for the interrupt. Typically a diesel (designed w/out glowplugs in this case) should not require either to start it at 50 degrees. Will it start easier if you give it some throttle at startup? Mine starts fine if I give it so I can see 4 notches on the throttle lock (about 900 RPM) but if I don't it will start, run for about 2 secs and then die. I haven't tried mine in the real cold yet, but unless needed I won't as I don't see the need to start a really cold engine just to start it.

O.D. Fever

Mine will start at 50 deg. but I do have to give it more throttle and it starts a little hard.. At 30 deg. the thermistat would not let it get a shot (old), don't know about the new one yet. However the Quickshot guy said 70 deg. Ill keep trying as temp drops and when it gets to where it wont start I guess ill jump it out.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.D. Fever, the guy at quickstart was more than likely mistaken...the deuce thermostats are set around 30 to 40 degrees like dittle mentioned

Last edited:

O.D. Fever

I tried to start at 30.deg. and without either it would not start. I have no flame heater soooo.. its eihher or spring.. Guess i'll jump the ground...

Mark2X2

I certainly mean no offence to you guys with the ether systems on your trucks, but I would be very careful using it or don't use it at all. I can attest to the damage that ether can do to a diesel engine. My Dad used ether on a diesel farm tractor and ended up having to rebuild the engine... My truck has the manifold heater on it and it works well. My deuce started last winter when it was +5 degrees F.
We use ether on our logging equipment in northern WI a lot in winter, if you use it right it's not a problem. Keep the ether warm, spray while turning the engine over so it draws it into the motor.
Mark

Mark2X2

I have a m35a2 that hates to start below 50 deg. It has the Quick Start either system install on it. The thermistat is interuping the ground to the solinoid. I can use freeze spray on the thermistat and it starts working. I called Quickstart and asked them what temp does this thermistat close the circut? They said 70 deg.. So I orderd a new one and installed it.. Same problem. I can jumper it out, but then it might get bumped and by by engine. Has anyone else had this prolem, or did I just buy a new defective thermistat??? Joe
If your truck won't start un-aided in the 40's, you have more trouble than your ether system. Could be a tired engine.
Mark

Bigmillman

As I recall.... The duece engine needs to turn over at 800 rpm from the starter or good luck getting her to go, then as mentioned earlier, simple diesel protocal: Fuel, do you have a good fine pattern from your nozzles? Compression, does it meet spec's? Heat: Well, I have started mine with no ether at -28 here in Michigan. Sounded like a sledgehammer trying to escape but it did start with full throttle applied.
Oh, I do change the oil to a thinner grade in the winter so she will turn over fast enough. Learned the hard way a few years back. Too thick=no turn over fast enough!:-D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thermal switch for the ether start system is set at 20°F if they are all equal. I tested one I had one time.
50 deg ambient? That's not cold, you have other issues. Check the fuel lines for air leaks to begin with, bleed the lines at the secondary/final filters. How are your fuel filters, clogged fuel filters will keep it from starting.
Batteries and connections in good condition? Should crank at 200-300 rpm to start and will do so down to 10 or even 0°F without starting aids when all is up to snuff.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks