• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sound proofing a M1008

Cucvnut

So My M1008 is loud inside the cab at highway speeds but if i lean forward near the steering wheel its not as loud. I am thinking its the harmonics of the exhaust and thin sheet metal. Would it be a good idea to put sound deating material in the cab ? it has insualtion and a rubber floor mat where i put my feet while driving but nothing under the seat and the wall behind the seat ( the rear cab wall ) and roof. do i want to use the stuff from LMC or Dynamat ? has anyone done this ? any info would be great

Matt

Midnight Rider

I've read that putting sound proofing material under the hood decrease the noise quite a bit. I would think putting in on the rear wall of the cab would help as well.

As for the type/brand to use, I don't know, I haven't done it yet.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So My M1008 is loud inside the cab at highway speeds but if i lean forward near the steering wheel its not as loud. I am thinking its the harmonics of the exhaust and thin sheet metal. Would it be a good idea to put sound deating material in the cab ? it has insualtion and a rubber floor mat where i put my feet while driving but nothing under the seat and the wall behind the seat ( the rear cab wall ) and roof. do i want to use the stuff from LMC or Dynamat ? has anyone done this ? any info would be great

Matt
Pull up next to my deuce and you won't even hear your truck! :)

You headed to the Dirtbag get together next week?

Last edited:

dilvoy

Use something like dynamat. It works wonders. I used some cheap stuff on my M1009 and Dynamat on my Humvee. It makes a real big difference. Three layers on the floor pan towards the front and as far back as you want to go or can afford to go, because this stuff can be expensive. In the inner side of the door skin really helps too. You don't need to cover the complete panel and you don't want to trap water anywhere either. Your floor mat may fall apart when you remove it so be carefull or just install a new one. Also using some of that spray insulation foam in a spray can in the areas between the skin and the lower support structure of the hood will stop quite a bit or resonant sound from that area too. It is a bit messy , so cover the engine and then use a spatula to scrape off any protruding foam. If you can rap on the panel and it rings like a bell, that would be a good place to put some dynamat. Making the installation unseen is the challenge though.

Cucvnut

Dug no i cant make it my gf wants to go to yosemite so we are going ther ill make the next event for sure !!

Thanks Dilvoy ill try that !

91W350

I have not done mine yet, but I did do a Kaiser M715. I painted about 1/4" of bedliner inside the cab and it made a huge difference. I also did the battery box, which rides between the seats on a M715. I cleaned out the inside of the box as best I could, probably should have sand blasted it. Anyway, I gave it a good coat too. Even though the truck had a canvas top, it made a huge difference in noise.

My M-1008 is very solid with no rust at all. I would like to preserve the cab by lining the bottom and inside. It is a lot of work to remove a cab and have the bottom sprayed. I may just brush paint a heavy coat on and call it good.

ehuppert

Added floor insulation to my 1008 as the heat in the summertime was brutal! Bought some synthetic material fairly cheap on fleabay and installed carpet over the top of that. Definitely helped with the heat, sound was also reduced.

Eric

mattgw86

Look up Second Skin Audio, they make some stuff called Spectrum that you can paint on either side of the metal, it keeps the panels from resonating so much, which is where most of your noise comes from. I believe you can even paint over the spectrum so nobody will know it's there. Other than that, maybe get the vinyl floor from a civvy model and put deadener and a noise barrier under it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks