• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Wireing problems

dstang97

while trying to get my 24v alternator belt tight the bottom of the alternator in the case sparked then smoke came up from the right side of the 24-12v resistor. The wire that connects from the right side of the resister is fried. that wire goes to a 2 stud connector. Is that a fuesable link? I dont know if i have power coming out of the alternator, and the gen 2 light wont come on. the truck does start though. my meter needs a new battery so it will have to wait till tomorrow. Hope fully there is a fuse some where, And after 10sec the smoke cleared.

any help would be a major help

thanks dan

dstang97

well i hooked up a new wire from the 24v post above the battery to the 2 post terminal where something cought on fire. and just sparked and blew the fuse. the 2 post terminal that i believe goes to the gpr. I know nothing about electrical issues.

2) question- can i just unbolt the right alternator and bring it to advanced and have them test it? what about the isolated ground would they be able to see if that is good?

Ken_86gt

Could be that the isolated ground on the drivers side alternator is hitting the bracket? I know that it is close on mine.

Yes, you can bring the alternator in for them to test. Usually a bad alternator just stops producing power though- not the short the you are experiencing.

dstang97

Could be that the isolated ground on the drivers side alternator is hitting the bracket? I know that it is close on mine.

Yes, you can bring the alternator in for them to test. Usually a bad alternator just stops producing power though- not the short the you are experiencing.

please excuse my ignorance, but is the isolated ground the wire that is attached to the top 10mm nut. with black rubber cover?

The ground is the ground (on the alternator), isolated or not. On the drivers side it goes to "frame" ground, on the passenger side it is connected to the negitive of the second battery. Both alts are 12V and the passenger side needs to be isolated or it would short the first battery to ground. So on the first alt (drivers side), ground to frame potential is zero and on the second alt (passenger side), ground to frame potential is 12 volts.

The ground on the drivers side hitting the bracket will not affect anything, this side is grounded to frame or engine ground, The drivers side alt does not need to be isolated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks