• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why EUC?

NEIOWA

Anyone ever inquired of their congresscritter WHY DOD is blowing taxpayer $ processing EUC for antique light cargo trailers and trucks and which have no combat value? This ain't armament.

nhdiesel

The one thing I worry about is the day they decide its easier to just cut it all up into scrap than to have GL auction it off. For most of this stuff, they have to be losing money with the auction process. Think about a Deuce: Take it out of (possibly) active service, have it transported back to the states, then transport it to the facility it will be auctioned from. Pay GL their fees, pay for the people to man the facilities, and end up selling the truck for $1000.

I'm concerned that as bad as GL is, they may not be the worse of the two evils.

Jim

KsM715

The one thing I worry about is the day they decide its easier to just cut it all up into scrap than to have GL auction it off. For most of this stuff, they have to be losing money with the auction process. Think about a Deuce: Take it out of (possibly) active service, have it transported back to the states, then transport it to the facility it will be auctioned from. Pay GL their fees, pay for the people to man the facilities, and end up selling the truck for $1000.

Jim

Trust me, there will be just as much money wasted on scrapping them, its the Government. They will still truck them around, still have to have people do all the paper work, still man sites and so on and so on.

NEIOWA

I'll bet you the cost to DOD of have the mil security people process an EUC in at leat $200.

For a trailer govliq sells for $250 and which is no more "dangerous" to peace than one you buy down at Home Depot.

greenjeepster

Jim
Which is exactly why even though I have been totally screwed over by them a few times in the last 7-8 years, I just role with the punches and keep on ticking.

Can you imagine what these trucks will be selling for once they stop auctioning them off?

greenjeepster

SHhhhh:!: Don't let our secret out! Let's enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts:idea:
Oooopps, right, ssshhhhhh.

30 years ago you could buy m38s through government action all day long for about $50.00 each. I am not old enough to remember that, but I had an uncle who had a few and that is what he payed for them. And they weren't even a Jeep in a crate deal.

Last edited:

stumps

I'll bet you the cost to DOD of have the mil security people process an EUC in at leat $200.

For a trailer govliq sells for $250 and which is no more "dangerous" to peace than one you buy down at Home Depot.
I'm not saying I agree with the EUC process, but there is some logic to it.

Just the other day, a couple of terrorists wearing surplus US uniforms, gained access to a military base. Once inside, they detonated a bomb.

One of the things I have noticed about our group, is there are quite a few of us that seem to be amused by how readily they are mistaken for real GI's when they are seen driving surplus army trucks, and wearing surplus army uniforms. Most of our shenanigans are harmless, but suppose that terrorists did the same thing to an evil end?

Well, they just did.

-Chuck

ABN173

I'm not saying I agree with the EUC process, but there is some logic to it.

Just the other day, a couple of terrorists wearing surplus US uniforms, gained access to a military base. Once inside, they detonated a bomb.

One of the things I have noticed about our group, is there are quite a few of us that seem to be amused by how readily they are mistaken for real GI's when they are seen driving surplus army trucks, and wearing surplus army uniforms. Most of our shenanigans are harmless, but suppose that terrorists did the same thing to an evil end?

Well, they just did.

-Chuck
Not that I don't believe you but I' like to read that article, do you have a link Chuck?

Also you do not have to buy uniforms or uniform items from GL or other surplus outlet most can be bought brand new online or mail order, heck from ebay even. I wonder how they made it past the gate guards without ID cards? or did they just breach the wire someplace?

Dale

stumps

Not that I don't believe you but I' like to read that article, do you have a link Chuck?

Also you do not have to buy uniforms or uniform items from GL or other surplus outlet most can be bought brand new online or mail order, heck from ebay even. I wonder how they made it past the gate guards without ID cards? or did they just breach the wire someplace?

Dale
It was something I heard out of the corner of my ear on the local news radio station. I got some of the details wrong. Here is a fuller accounting:
A police intelligence report obtained by The Associated Press on Saturday had warned in July that members of the Taliban along with Jaish-e-Mohammed, a militant group based in the country’s Punjab province, were planning to attack army headquarters after disguising themselves as soldiers. The report was given to the AP by an official in the home affairs ministry in Punjab’s home department.
Officials said Saturday they had raided a house in the capital where the attackers were believed to have stayed. They found military uniforms and bomb-making equipment.
The United States has been pushing Pakistan to take strong action against insurgents using its soil as a base for attacks in Afghanistan. The army has previously been unwilling to go into Waziristan with significant force, but has likely been emboldened by its successes against the militants in the Swat Valley earlier this year and the killing of Baitullah Mehsud.
“I want to give a message to the Taliban that what we did with you in Swat, we will do the same to you there (in Waziristan), too,” said Interior Minister Rehman Malik. “We are going to come heavy on you.”
Militants regularly attack army bases across the country and bombed a checkpoint outside the army compound in Rawalpindi two years ago — one of several major bombings to hit the garrison city in recent years. But rarely have the Taliban mounted an armed assault in the city involving multiple fighters.
Saturday’s siege followed a car bombing that killed 49 on Friday in the northwestern city of Peshawar and the bombing of a U.N. aid agency Monday that killed five in Islamabad. The attacks showed the militants are capable of striking a range of targets across the country.
The man who attacked the U.N. office was also wearing a security uniform and was granted entry to the compound after asking to use the bathroom.
The point is most people assume that anyone in uniform, driving military vehicles is military. They also assume anyone in a police uniform driving a police cruiser is a cop.

It is probably in the government's best interest to know who their vehicles go to, as a military truck, and a surplus uniform speaks authority to most civilians.

-Chuck

greenjeepster

It is probably in the government's best interest to know who their vehicles go to, as a military truck, and a surplus uniform speaks authority to most civilians.

-Chuck
I agree. I am actually amazed that some members of this community will even own a military truck when they need to know who you are, where you live and how often you take a shat during the day just to get one. Like the member who posted that he bought his deuce so he can survive an economic meltdown and avoid being put into a concentration camp in Washington.... people with those types of fears don't strike me as the type to willingly give up their personal information to a government they don't trust in order to own something as simple as a truck.

nhdiesel

I can see there being some form of check, but there has to be a more streamlined way than the current EUC process. Why not a check like there is for gun purchases? They can get information in 1 minute, not 2-3 months. I could see there being maybe a 7 day turn around on the paperwork.

I also very much believe that if someone were planning an unlawful act, they aren't going to buy from the government. Even a simple check will ensure that there is a record of all purchasers. As was said previously, anything you want is available from ebay and other sites: uniforms, badges, ID cards, vehicles, weapons, even kevlar vests and other armor. Any of which leaves no paper trail.

And yet they perceive a security risk if a 40 year old truck and trailer fall into the wrong hands. Hell, I've seen mowers and bikes shown as EUC Required!

Jim

stumps

Ok I had read that I was under the impression you were talking about a US base.
As I said, I heard the info out of the corner of my ear. I thought, at the time, they were talking about a US base. The article I found, at your request, showed the report to have been OCONUS.

Even though it wasn't in the US, it illustrates a point. If you look official, you will often be given the wave rather than checked. As a contractor, I have been on and off of military bases quite a lot during my career. In a civilian car, I always have to stop, present ID, and tell my story to get on base. When I ride in an official vehicle, I frequently get waved on. The vehicle is my pass.

I don't think the government is worried about how I will use the unique capabilities of the vehicle, or accessory, but rather is worried about how I might use it to misrepresent myself as being a member of the US military.

Look at the surplussed police cruisers, school buses, army trucks, etc.. They all have one thing in common, the identifying symbols, signs and numbers have been obliterated.

The EUC process, and the background checks done on its behalf, gives some assurance that the new owners of this demil Q material have demonstrated reasonable behavior in the past, with the hope they will continue to do so into the future.

Is it a reasonable thing to do? Is it effective? I have no idea.

-Chuck

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Thats slack a** gate guards for you. Ive seen piss poor security at a few Post ive been to. Scary.

Back to EUC's being pointless , I agree. Just for kicks when I filled out one I put I was going to Sell it at some point, dont know the buyer yet and was going to export it to Nigeria. My EUC was approved no problem... - Jay

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to EUC's being pointless , I agree. Just for kicks when I filled out one I put I was going to Sell it at some point, dont know the buyer yet and was going to export it to Nigeria. My EUC was approved no problem... - Jay

It is foolish acts like this that might be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" causing all former MVs to go to the scrap pile.

I personally find NO HUMOR in your stunt... Nor your apparent bragging about "getting away with it."

Whether we agree with the EUC's or not... This is the New World of Security that we ALL live in. If you were in an airport talking about "hijacking" or "bombs" Homeland Security would be all over your A$$ in a heartbeat. Messing with the EUC process, in my opinion, should bear similar consequences. Shame upon YOU for your foolish action!

:soapbox: :rant: 2cents 2cents 2cents 2cents.... And you can keep the change:!:

ABN173

As I said, I heard the info out of the corner of my ear. I thought, at the time, they were talking about a US base. The article I found, at your request, showed the report to have been OCONUS.

Even though it wasn't in the US, it illustrates a point. If you look official, you will often be given the wave rather than checked. As a contractor, I have been on and off of military bases quite a lot during my career. In a civilian car, I always have to stop, present ID, and tell my story to get on base. When I ride in an official vehicle, I frequently get waved on. The vehicle is my pass.

I don't think the government is worried about how I will use the unique capabilities of the vehicle, or accessory, but rather is worried about how I might use it to misrepresent myself as being a member of the US military.

Look at the surplussed police cruisers, school buses, army trucks, etc.. They all have one thing in common, the identifying symbols, signs and numbers have been obliterated.

The EUC process, and the background checks done on its behalf, gives some assurance that the new owners of this demil Q material have demonstrated reasonable behavior in the past, with the hope they will continue to do so into the future.

Is it a reasonable thing to do? Is it effective? I have no idea.

-Chuck
I have 20+ years in the military at locations both conus and oconus even in my M1008 in uniform I have never been just waved on base. Even in buses or official convoys they have checked ID's (perhaps not all but at least the lead vehicle/ CDR's to verify vehicle count etc)not sure where you have been just waved on at but if it was recently it is duty to report the lax security. The article you posted was not just OCONUS but it was another country's base (Pakistan). US security is tighter than most 3rd world countries.

As an example I live on base and forgot my wallet one day, even though I was in uniform and my wife was with me I could not get back on base even with her showing her ID card, we did get on but only after being re-routed to the main gate and applying for a visitor pass (then having our vehicle inspected as well).

Last edited:

bassetdeuce

As an example I live on base and forgot my wallet one day, even though I was in uniform and my wife was with me I could not get back on base even with her showing her ID card, we did get on but only after being re-routed to the main gate and applying for a visitor pass (then having our vehicle inspected as well).
Were the guards MPs or civy cops?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks