• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yard work..cranetruck style

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helped my son Adrian with removal of parts to be used in his CJ-7 project.
The deuce is running on 100% homemade biodiesel here and, yes, the engine is knocking, which is particularly noticeable at idle, not so bad at 1,200-1,500 rpm (when using the crane). The oil pressure also drops when the engine warms up, so we'll see when I get the new engine from Kenny what we'll do....

Attachments

1stDeuce

Am I the only one here who is sickened by the almost complete lack of rust on that sweet FSJ??? You can't find old cherokees in that nice of condition around here, and that one is getting cannibalized for it's drivetrain. :(

(I know, it's not an MV, but I'm not much of a discriminator... I like ALL cool old vehicles!!)

I need to head a movement to end the use of salt on our roads in the winter!! I'll give it a green tint and everyone will pile on, right? :)
Chris

Rattlewagon

Bjorn, there are a few tires leaned up against your trucks right front tire, what size and brand are those?

I was thinking those would make good snow tires for a deuce. Any thoughts?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, there are a few tires leaned up against your trucks right front tire, what size and brand are those?

I was thinking those would make good snow tires for a deuce. Any thoughts?
395/85r20 Goodyear MVT used, got six make a reasonable offer and they are yours. I'm meaning to put them in the classifieds...

nhdiesel

Am I the only one here who is sickened by the almost complete lack of rust on that sweet FSJ??? You can't find old cherokees in that nice of condition around here, and that one is getting cannibalized for it's drivetrain. :(

(I know, it's not an MV, but I'm not much of a discriminator... I like ALL cool old vehicles!!)

I need to head a movement to end the use of salt on our roads in the winter!! I'll give it a green tint and everyone will pile on, right? :)
Chris
Yea, I'm with you there. But remember that like everything else, rust is relative. Down south, a vehicle is rusted out beyond repair if you can drop a peanut through a hole. Up here, a vehicle is considered very repairable if it only has a few holes you can drop softballs through.

I know where I live, the use of road salt keeps most people from owning any kind of collector/hobby vehicle. There is no point in wasting good time and money on something that only going to be around for a few years. Its so bad that vehicles used only in the summer rust because there is so much salt left. Where I was working, I've had to replace brake lines on '05-'06 vehicles already, and even had to warn the owner of an '04 to sell his truck quick, because it wasn't going to make it through another inspection- the floors and rockers were rusting out badly.

Anyway...not to steel the thread...on subject, that truck is exactly what I need here! In fact, if you add a couple more partially disassembled vehicles, that yard looks suspiciously like mine!

Jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
as soon as I get a truck!!! :grin: how well would those fit on on stock wheels?
They need 9-inch wide wheels IIRC, the stock wheels are only 7 inches wide, but that doesn't stop some of the people here. :)

About cannibalizing the Wagoneer, there is a junkyard about 1/2 mile from our house and Adrian made a deal, trading some junk we had for this one.
It was in fact pretty nice except for rust down below and under and the engine/drive train, brakes etc have not been tested.
With 13,000 members on this forum, it's difficult to do anything without stepping on somebody's toes. Left with the junk dealer, it would have been picked apart anyway, perhaps not as dramatically.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a M43 ambulance and a J-10-grilled M37 in the background in one pic. Are those yours Bjorn? Any plans for them?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a side question, Bjorn - why are you considering buying a replacement engine, when the current deuce engine works and needs repair? You're quite the mechanical guru - just curious why you have already seemed to select replacement over repair.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a side question, Bjorn - why are you considering buying a replacement engine, when the current deuce engine works and needs repair? You're quite the mechanical guru - just curious why you have already seemed to select replacement over repair.
Mike, I like options.
I have the oilpan gasket on hand, but the engine is about the same price as a set of new bearings.
Replacing the engine would also lead to an interesting project, powering the crane from another source, possible electric and using it to lift the engines.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW Bjorn, Brandon gave the OK on our deal so the motor will be there waiting on you! Mike, I'm sure that once the engine gets replaced, the old motor will become the next project for repair!

greenjeepster

I know where I live, the use of road salt keeps most people from owning any kind of collector/hobby vehicle. There is no point in wasting good time and money on something that only going to be around for a few years. Its so bad that vehicles used only in the summer rust because there is so much salt left. Where I was working, I've had to replace brake lines on '05-'06 vehicles already, and even had to warn the owner of an '04 to sell his truck quick, because it wasn't going to make it through another inspection- the floors and rockers were rusting out badly.

Jim
Around here they do brine treatments on the roads in the winter. Huge waste of tax dollars and it not only rots out cars, but it runs straight off into the storm drains.

I always kept the salt from killing my cars in Vermont by spraying them every year with 50/50 bar and chain oil and kerosene. Works like a dream. Vehicle will pass inspection until the emissions fails it.

yolner

Could you post some closeup pics of how you have the crane installed in there? I'd really love to do something similar when I get my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks