• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If you had $1000... Prioritizing upgrades and repairs.

HardCorps79

So, I'm trying to plan ahead for when I get my tax refund (I have 3 kids, so I get a nice one :-D.) The wife and I agreed to dump about a grand into the truck to keep it ship shape. I can always do more, and have budgeted about $200/mo in maintenance costs, since i don't have a loan payment anymore.

I use the truck as a daily driver around town, but am also planning a 1,200 mile road trip for early next summer.

So the question is, "How would you prioritize the following ten items, assuming all but the IP are stock military 23 years old?"

-Rebuild Injector Pump (I have a functioning non-leaking one 16 y/o I just installed, and the original '86 as a core, considering possible rebuild)
-New Glow Plugs/Control Card
-New Alternators (not having any problems, but ya never know...)
-Spare starter?
-Batteries (I have fully charged batteries that start at 10*, but no idea how old they are. Considering Optima red tops.)
-Replace Injectors (assuming mine are original)
-Belts (alternator, etc.)
-Window seals (to prevent rusting- mine are ancient and crumbling and whistle with the wind)
-Tint rear window and replace "guts" of crank assembly. (not having any problems, but will be loading gear in and out regularly)
-Change door and ignition key cylinders for security

HardCorps79

I would finish my turbo install
rino liner the inside
give a new paint job
i would love to do those, and probably will, but those are mostly cosmetic, and I'm looking at engine and systems function mostly. Honestly, the turbo is a low priority for me as a cost item. The truck runs fine and has enough power for what i need.

Also, I would love to rhino-line/Line-x the interior, but at $300-600 it won't matter if my glow-plugs or alternators e.g. are shot. I'll have a nice interior to sit in in my driveway. I may do a roll-on/spray-on liner before i head out on my trip, but for now, again, I'm looking at function rather than form.

Finally, my paint job is pretty decent. I only have one bad rust spot, and only the black is flaking at all. From 5 yards away, you can't tell. Eventually, after everything else is all lovely and upgraded, I'll go for cosmetics- paint, stereo, etc.

Thanks for the input, though.

boomer

So, I'm trying to plan ahead for when I get my tax refund (I have 3 kids, so I get a nice one :-D.) The wife and I agreed to dump about a grand into the truck to keep it ship shape. I can always do more, and have budgeted about $200/mo in maintenance costs, since i don't have a loan payment anymore.

I use the truck as a daily driver around town, but am also planning a 1,200 mile road trip for early next summer.

So the question is, "How would you prioritize the following ten items, assuming all but the IP are stock military 23 years old?"

-Rebuild Injector Pump (I have a functioning non-leaking one 16 y/o I just installed, and the original '86 as a core, considering possible rebuild)
-Spare starter?
-Batteries (I have fully charged batteries that start at 10*, but no idea how old they are. Considering Optima red tops.)
-Window seals (to prevent rusting- mine are ancient and crumbling and whistle with the wind)
-Tint rear window and replace "guts" of crank assembly. (not having any problems, but will be loading gear in and out regularly)
Hi Hard Corps,
I would go with the mechanical stuff, first. Cosmetic (not counting the window seals, unless water/moisture is bad) is secondary.
The first thing you should do (A-SAP) , is change the door & ignition cylinders. You do know about that!? Next I would get two new batteries, then belts, plugs, etc.

12vctd

-Rebuild Injector Pump (I have a functioning non-leaking one 16 y/o I just installed, and the original '86 as a core, considering possible rebuild), You injection pump might have 150k miles of trouble free service in it, or it might have 5k, hard tellign unless you take it to have it inspected. I have seen even new parts fail, but I think it would be a good idea to either get a new or have yours rebuilt and have the motor timed

This would be 1st on my list well atleast the glow plugs as simply cheap insurance, but I would first diagnose the glow plug system and ensure its in top shape

Unless your going to carry the spares and have tools to replace I think you would be better off having the money working for you then sitting in the garage waiting for when the part fails

-Spare starter?
Same as above jst really go over the truck and look for any apparent problems

Load test the batteries if they are within spec then run them if they are weak or close then replace

injectors would be a good maintence issue and replacing would be wonderful preventive maintence issue not knowing your milage or the use of the truck previously

I keep all the spare belts I need for my truck you can put all new belts and keep the old belts for spares

Seals are cheap might be cosmetic but would cut wind noise and make things more enjoyable

This is a great idea might not after inspection need to replace but simply inspect and grease

I would do this if you plan on driving alot. Thou locks only keep honest men honest its still better than nothing

One thing I would suggest spending alittle money on is a good oil anyalsis, and do more than just one, this should let you see the condition of things inside your motor and help you with peace of mind. Another thing if it hasnt been do is jst general maitence, like lubing all grease fittings, changing the fluids such as diff and trans and transfer case. If this hasn't already been done.

ABN173

Depending on if you have the space, if it was me I would buy a 2nd running truck from GL or GSA then decide which one is better then turn the other one into a parts truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd put the money in the highest yield acct you can find with unlimited access and fix things as they fail.

HardCorps79

I'd put the money in the highest yield acct you can find with unlimited access and fix things as they fail.
Yeah, we're doing that with the largest portion of our return each year. Just want to try and head off any potential problems with the truck before they happen. Since I'm relying on this for my daily driver i need to be sure it doesn't crap out on me. Granted, it may do that anyway; even new cars have issues. But it would be peace of mind more than anything. And since it's taking over as my new weekend hobby, I may as well fund it and gain some proficiency as I learn to maintain the little beast.

Cucvnut

I like your list Hardcorps. its simple and pretty much what every cucv owner thinks about what could go wrong on there truck and what not.

but my list would be
install my 454 i all ready have it so it does not count against the 1000)
new 62 inch rear springs
new 52 inch front springs
cross over steering
rebuild my SM465 and get a round pattern 205 Tcase
and rims and tires.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would replace the window seals. It will keep your doors and door guts in better shape, also help with drafts and whistles. Test your batts, alts for free at almost any auto parts store (that you trust)

I may replace the glow plugs if you pull one and they look bad, and replacing the injectors probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Having a rebuilt pump on hand may or may not be a good way to go- leave them sit around long enough and the seals and such go bad and you would just have to have it rebuilt again. It will just depend on how bad you need the truck. Can you wait a few days if your IP dies to have the other one rebuilt?

And as for the rest, just keep her lubed and changed the filters every so often, and it should last you a long time. Keep a rainy day fund for the starter, some batts, or an alternator or two if/when those go bad.

Somemedic

Ive always felt the optimas were alot of money for a battery that does the same job a wallyworld one would do. Azone too. Azones yellow tops are guarenteed for awhile so Id buy a couple of those and stay friendly with the staff. If one goes bad they will recognize you as the nice army truck guy and when you tell them the batt is bad they may trust you at your word and swap you out immediately. CUCV starters are guarenteed for life and will fire up at 24v w/o issue. Ive been doing it for some time.

Do the window felts and keep the water out. Also keep a working alt w/ isolated ground on hand. The rear window guts are getting hard to find, replace those parts if theyre worn.

Ive not replaced the injectors in mine though I did r/r the IP. Try that and let us know if it makes a difference. I also r/r the tranny and while both are pricey Im sure unless catastophic motor issues occur the truck should be mission capable for some time.

91W350

I would look around your part of the country and find the best auto electronics repair guy in the country. Around here it is Randy at R&A Auto Electric. I would much rather take my starter or alternator to him and have it fixed than have new ones.

I agree on the IP, some go 200K and some do not make it 30K. I would keep a close watch on the lift pump though. The flex brake lines and flex fuel hoses would be a smart investment.

Drive it for a few months and you will know its weak points.

Some guys seem to be all about the 454 or big blocks. I think the 6.2 is part of the truck's magic. You can afford to drive it, it has a nice flat torque curve. I am not sure how much horsepower we need to go 50. :smile:

Drive it, enjoy it, they are a beautifully designed machine. A whole lot of economical truck for the money. Glen

Radioshop

Air Conditioning! (I live in Miami) I have the Optimas in mine, I'm not sure I really like them. If the battery ever dies, you'll have the devil of a time recharging them, as I am having now. You pretty much have to charge them at 50 amps for a half hour and then 10 amps for eight hours. On a daily driver they might be better, but having had both, I think I wasted the money on the Optimas. My M1009 pretty much sits all summer (see my first comment). I had better (sitting) life out of the Delco batteries.

4bogginchevys

I second somemedic with most and add...
tranny filter kit and 6 new Quarts of dextron 3
all diff oils changed
repack wheel bearings(replace as necessary)
check brakes
new rubber lines(vaccum/fuel)
check U-joints....thier no fun to replace on the side of the road
check steering componants
transfer flush
LOF
it may not be necassary to replace injectors, just have them cleaned and flow matched
new....brighter headlights
window seals for sure
check water pump at bearing for movement...and fan clutch, when they lock up you cant go fast enough to get a new one
check batts....red tops are a waste of money
maybe a coolant flush...with anti-electrolysis additive
K&N for sure
and a box of extra fuses
maybe something cosmetic...it may be next tax season before you can justify this
U probably have enough left to take the wife and kids out for dinner:!:

KyCUCVs

I agree with ABN173. If you have the space to hide it, a second parts M1009 is a great investment. I won a parts M1009 from GL for $195. It was missing the drivers door, radiator, drive shaft and the instrument cluster was violated, but the vehicle was otherwise complete. Two weeks after getting it home, an alternator started going out on my M1008 right before a road trip. Quick swap. The taillight lenses and reflectors on the parts truck were in great shape so I swapped them on to my M1009 driver. I’ve used innumerable bolts, screws and connectors from it. I would like to move the front bumper out about ten inches and install a winch between the frame rails. I will use the parts truck to build a mock up of the winch mount and frame extensions before I start taking my driver apart.

Also agree with 91W350 about finding a local auto electric shop that can do rebuilds. Had my 24V M1009 starter rebuilt or a lot less than what a replacement would have cost.

I’ve had good luck with Autozone yellow top batteries. I couldn’t deal with the Army issue battery hold down brackets, so made my own from some scrap angle iron and threaded rod. They work great and make engine access easier. Next task will be to reduce the size of the stock battery tray for even better access.

Attachments

Somemedic

Switch all your fluids over to synth. I also added a coolant filter (overkill? I get heat in about 5min now as opposed to 15).

U joints and front bearings is always a good idea. Driveshafts are fairly cheap... just get a couple with zerks. Azone's die quickly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks