• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weak Link???

rwoods

Every vehicle seems to have a weak link in its drivetrain - for example with older Landcruisers its the Birfield joint in the front axle. So tell me, besides the nut behind the wheel, what is the deuce's weak link? If it is the tranny, then what is the next part most prone to breakage when you far from home? Thanks.

JTugwell

maybe if the front axle has the ball and claw design (like mine) instead of the u-joints. from what ive gathered u-joint axles are about 15-20% stronger. although if youre not beating the crap out of it off road i guess this isnt an issue.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me the worst thing about a deuce is the brake system (master cylinder). As far as the rest of the drivetrain it's pretty stout, though low on power.

rwoods

Thanks. I'm not a hodrodder, but I do a lot of stuff alone and I look forward to working the truck over the winter and I like to be prepared. I don't know much about the deuce. I used to do a fair amount of four wheeling when I was younger and you learned quickly (and usually the hard way) what spare parts to carry and what situations to avoid. Ron

rwoods

To me the worst thing about a deuce is the brake system (master cylinder). As far as the rest of the drivetrain it's pretty stout, though low on power.
I see a lot of posts about the brakes and single circuit. I have a M35A3 which I am told has a dual circuit. I appreciate the value of redunancy, but I still can't tell from the posts whether this is the only issue or just one of several brake issues. The good news and the bad news of the M35A3 is the same - it is only comfortable at about 45 mph max. Wide open is about 56 mph.

Divemaster920

Banned
Common sense is the weakest link...Or should I say Lack of Common Sense is the weakest link.
These are vehicle's of the 60's and 70's......they will always need some TLC.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe if the front axle has the ball and claw design (like mine) instead of the u-joints. from what ive gathered u-joint axles are about 15-20% stronger. although if youre not beating the crap out of it off road i guess this isnt an issue.
I was under the impression that the older style joint was stronger than the u-joint. I've been told that the reason the rockcrawlers don't like them is because they are harder to service and wear out faster. I could be wrong.

rlwm211

RWOODS Check out the FAQ section in the forum lists for the deuce and you will find all the TM's for the truck and the how to check the torque rods. I would strongly suggest that you download them and review the operators's manual and any quetion regarding servicing and checking things will be in the Maintanence manuals.
Here is the link to the TM's:

Deuce - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Scroll down the page and the list of manuals and links for download are near the bottom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks