• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which is the most trouble free engine?

DanielP

I am looking at getting a deuce or a 5 ton, and would like any feedback you can offer on the most trouble free engine - multifuel, CAT or Cummins or other? Are any engines problematic and should be avoided? Thanks!!

jimmcld

I personally don't know the answer to your question. However, I know an old motor pool sergeant who told me that he nevers has trouble with the Cummings. He was not too keen on the multifuel.

Capt.Marion

The Cummins, being a much straightforward designed and lower-compression engine is a bit more reliable. Neither the Multi or the Cummins is particularly unreliable. They're both great engines.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my take,

Cummins give very little trouble and are cheap to work on.

Cats give very little trouble but when they do it cost some big bucks to get it fixed.

The multifuel IMO is not as well built of an engine as either the Cat or the Cummins and internal engine parts can be pricey but they are plentifull and you can buy whole engines for what parts cost for the others. The will also run on stuff that will kill other engines.

With all that being said, the multifuel more than meets my needs and I wouldn't base my purchase solely on what engine it had. They are all good engines.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've tried to ignore this thread...but just can't anymore...just gotta blab out my opinion:razz:

I've had...and have some deuces...and some 5tons. IMO 5tons rule:!:

As far as the engines...it's like someone said above...if ya luck out and get one that has been properly PM'd and not abused...they are all good...so just don't worry about that.

MY PERSONAL preference however....is a 5ton...and we have cargo, tractor, dump and wrecker.
To me the Cummins 250 is really hard to beat and I really don't see that "extra" power the the turbo multi and mack folks seem to see...but that's just me:wink:

dittle

My AMSA buddies absolutely do not like the CAT (was going to use the word hate but....). They would take the multi or Cummins any day over the CAT. CAT is also leaving or out of the small truck engine market due to the issues they have had with the 3116 engine, which I believe is what is in the M35A3 and FMTV family (as well as some big rig over the road trucks).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CAT is also leaving or out of the small truck engine market due to the issues they have had with the 3116 engine, which I believe is what is in the M35A3 and FMTV family (as well as some big rig over the road trucks).
Cat isn't getting out of the small engine market (they are still going to make small industrial engines). They are getting out of the truck engines altogether due to EPA regulations. The EPA is cracking down hard on diesel truck engines and Cat just threw up their hands a decided it wasn't worth it anymore. I've heard there will still be Cat truck engines but will be built by somebody else with the Cat name on it.

bassetdeuce

Cat isn't getting out of the small engine market (they are still going to make small industrial engines). They are getting out of the truck engines altogether due to EPA regulations. The EPA is cracking down hard on diesel truck engines and Cat just threw up their hands a decided it wasn't worth it anymore. I've heard there will still be Cat truck engines but will be built by somebody else with the Cat name on it.
Yep. They are called International, and they're doing it with the former CAT C15 (ACERT?).

GoHot229

Here's my take,

Cummins give very little trouble and are cheap to work on.

Cats give very little trouble but when they do it cost some big bucks to get it fixed.

The multifuel IMO is not as well built of an engine as either the Cat or the Cummins and internal engine parts can be pricey but they are plentifull and you can buy whole engines for what parts cost for the others. The will also run on stuff that will kill other engines.

With all that being said, the multifuel more than meets my needs and I wouldn't base my purchase solely on what engine it had. They are all good engines.
Being an observer and talking to different Truckers, in conversation, they stated that Cat was more costly for parts. Barring any other topic, that inclined me to think that by virtue of that fact alone they would ultimatly be a good choice in strength, yet a bad choice in economic terms as the parts were more $. Beyond that I know less than nothing.

saddamsnightmare

October 16th, 2009.

I can't grouse about the multifuel if cared for and treated right. The Cummins would be good, the Cat, well, Cats ain't what they used to be...... As to 52 in a 5 ton..... Don't you guys have the same problem as us deuce owners, low geared axles? Built as an off road truck makes for a slow on road truck unless you want to change gearing or add an overdrive....:-D

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

N.B. word for slow? UNIMOG. it takes me 3-1/2 hours to go 120 miles with an S404.114 Swiss and no big hills to speak of!:twisted:

trog

Axle ratio is important with respect to engine reliability. Most truck diesels are most efficient around 1700 rpm, and mechanical stresses are much less at 1700 than at 2100. Low axle ratios are not necessary for offroad trucks. Commercial FWDs and Oshkosh use ratios around 4.5 -- 5.3 to one.

I run a few Cummins, Detroits, Cats and Multifuels, and none have failed me, so I don't know much about rebuilding. Only that Detroits often leak oil into the blower, but some of my Detroits are clean runners.

Katch1

depends on what you are gonna do with it, for occasional usage a well cared for multi will last forever, I've seen White tractors with 10,000 hrs on them with the hercules version of the multi. The cummins I hear is very good engine, had one worked good had no toubles with it. The cat is as every one says works o.k costs more to maintain and repair.
So youy didn't state what usage you intend for the vehicle, which would enter in any advice a person may give

DanielP

Thanks for all the replies. My use would be a bobbed fun truck, driven quite a bit, but not for any kind of commercial use or towing. The heaviest thing it would carry would be some motocross bikes. But I would drive it in deep snow and cold weather, going up and down to our house (7500 ft. elevation) from town (4500 ft. elevation).

In Europe we would prefer Mercedes Benz or MAN or DAF engines. This is simply for better sevicability here. Perkins engines are not that bad too. Perkins is nowadays a part ot Caterpilar. Cummings is not realy a bad choise.
But do not forget, the engines designed in the late fifies and the early sixties are made for 2000 up to 5000 hours live. More modern engines are made for 10000 to 20000 hours of live.
So with the old engines you hav to live with problems of livetime.
Do not forget that the Jimmy engine (269cid gas) according to the manual has to be rebuilt comepletely every 15000 miles!. Unthinkabely nowadays. But vintage MV are like that.
Wolf

dieselolds

In Europe we would prefer Mercedes Benz or MAN or DAF engines. This is simply for better sevicability here. Perkins engines are not that bad too. Perkins is nowadays a part ot Caterpilar. Cummings is not realy a bad choise.
But do not forget, the engines designed in the late fifies and the early sixties are made for 2000 up to 5000 hours live. More modern engines are made for 10000 to 20000 hours of live.
So with the old engines you hav to live with problems of livetime.
Do not forget that the Jimmy engine (269cid gas) according to the manual has to be rebuilt comepletely every 15000 miles!. Unthinkabely nowadays. But vintage MV are like that.
Wolf
I do think a lot of old engines expexted short life is due to old oil.
In old times you hade to pull the oil pan to get out the slugde at times, today thats is total wasted due to the good oil.
A few years ago i was changing the oil on a WW2 Dodge WC but the oil was like black thick paint and whoudent drain, so i had to use a stick to work it out.
I think if you put oil like that on a modern engine it will fail after not to many miles rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks