• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple questions about the Deuce

number9

Guys I've got a couple questions in my head and know you guys can set me straight.

- I noticed in the pics of my Deuce (not picked it up yet) that it is missing the two clevis (es?) on the front bumper - like where you hook a chain to pull the truck. Where can I pick up two of these? Anyone got a link?

- I've seem to have read that I need a 9/16" square extention to remove the fill plugs on the axles, tranny, T-case to check the oil level. I've called around some places today and no one acts like they have seen them in this size. Called NAPA, Tractor Supply, Republic Diesel and checked Harbor Freight. Anyone got a link to one of these tools or a pic of one? Guess I won't be able to check the oil levels in my truck when I go look at it tomorrow. :-x

- Looked at some gear oil at Tractor Supply tonight and one was GL-1 but was SAE90, the other was 85W-140 and stated GL-5 on the label but no mention of MT-1 or "yellow metal compatable". I called NAPA and he didn't have anything in 5gal buckets but said he had some GL-1 in pint bottles though. I have attached pics of the oil I seen at TS - this look like the same thing anyone uses?

Thanks.

Attachments

Westex

number9--use the TraveLLer SAE 90 Gl-1 in your pic. Do not use the GL 5 85W-140 from what I see. You'll be fine with the Mineral oil. Secondly, all of the Plugs for your running nomenclature use a 1/2 inch drive to remove. In other words, just a raw one half inch socket drive or flex handle. Thirdly, you'll have to search around for the lifting shackles you are looking for. They attach to the bumpers, but are not used to tow. They are used to lift the deuce for marine operations.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would wait till you get the truck to buy the shackles. Alot of times they are on the passenger's floorboard.

onegmjack

On the Deuce I have everything has a 1/2 fill plug but the transmission has 9/16 allen plug.
Looks like it has be replaced had new paint on it when I picked it up at Redstone.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The only thing more dishonest than a career politician are GL pictures.:roll:

If you did not preview the truck expect the worse.....then you will be real happy if everything is good.

I have bought a lot of deuces sight unseen and I have never got one with a bad engine (just a M816 wrecker). I have got some that were high miles, beat to heck or had minor problems.....most of the time I get them cheap enough that I could have parted them out and made money.

Good luck.

number9

So the TraveLLer SAE 90 Gl-1 is good to go and what others use - that will be okay in the axles and T-case too?

The shackles are probably in the floor but if not are easliy found.

The plugs are 1/2" drive and 9/16" allen - I've got both and laid them out to take with me.

You guys rock - thanks alot. I was stressin' about the oil and the plugs today. THANKS A LOT :!:

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

The Lubrication Orcer just calls out "GO 80/90" "GO-Lubricating Oil, Gear Multipurpose (MIL-L-2105)"

Isn't this just plain old 80W90 Gear Oil??

Does it have to specify "GL-1" or "Yellow Metal Compatible"?

Is plain old common 80W90 not compatible with "yellow metal"? (I'm assuming that "yellow metal refers to brass and/or bronze parts....)

-Bear-

Westex

You have to have an Mt-1 specification. Elsewise, you have a possible gear oil which can corrode the bronze bushings in these huge trans and transfer cases. I personally purchased GL-1 Mineral Oil from Napa, (sorry I dont have the part #) and it's the real deal.
There are some posts on this site which have the part # from NAPA for the GL-1 gear oil. But, having said that, number 9, you're still good to go with that gallon jug of Mineral Oil in your pic. Wish they sold that in Texas. By the way, if you want to change out everything, you'll need more than 5 gallons, almost 10 of the stuff. Check out NAPA; and by the way, I'm not a salesman, but they have it alot cheaper.

BugEyeBear

Does it need to be GL-1?

Or does anything up to GL-4 work?

I have read that it is only GL-5 that MIGHT be incompatible with copper-based parts due to extreme pressuure (EP) wear additives.

To give the gear oil its EP rating, it's trationally been easiest to add a sulpher based friction modifier like MoS2 (molybdenum disulphide) but the broken down sulphur left in the oil (you can smell it) has in the past been responsible for corrosion and putting of the vintage copper alloy that was used to make synchros & other bits.

To get the GL-4 rating, the oil has to pass the ASTM D-130 test. This test determines how reactive the sulpher is against a polished copper strip. During the test, the strip is also subjected to heating to simulate the running conditions in the gear box. (IT is interesting to note that tests showed that reactions typically only occurred at elevated temps, in the 250degree range... But PERHAPS this just accelerates the process...)

To obtain GL-5 certification, the manufacturer does not have to pass the ASTM D-130 test.

IS THERE A PARTICULAR GL CERTIFICATION NUMBER THAT WE KNOW WE SHOULD AVOID WITH A DEUCE?

I have no idea what might be in mine now, as I'll guess that the PO &/or the local repair shop just topped it off with whatever was available.......

UPDATE: I just looked at my service receipt... Says "80W90 Texaco heavy duty gear oil" was used. They probably added some to the trans, xfer, & all 3 diffs. (I had a leak in one diff, so I know they added some there...)
So I went to the Texaco site & looked up their data sheet for Havoline Gear Oil 80W90.
http://www.texaco.com/yourcar/productscars.asp
https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsServer/controller?module=com.chevron.lubes.msds.bus.BusPDSList
Good News is that it shows it to "meet the performance requirements of API Service Categories MT-1, GL-4, & GL-5.
NOW I just need to determine if they filled the trans xfer & diffs TO the fill holes, OR to 1/2 inch below the fill holes. I'm betting that they added 80W90 until it flowed out of the fill holes.

I hear that the trans can spew gear oil at highway speeds/temps if overfilled.
Does anything else exhibit the same behavior?
The Xfercase?
The Diffs?
(I'm thinking that the high pinion location should prevent some leaking of the rockwell axles caused by a slight overfill... But the axle seals might be another story... Anyone Know??)

I STILL Don't Know what sort of gear oil was/is in there before the recent top-off. But this truck did come from Redstone recently, so I HOPE that the Arsenal Guys used the correct stuff!!

Last edited:

GoHot229

#9 Mellow out man..... it'll arive soon enough, I can see it's driving you buggy, this antisipation of arival, prepare your garage or tools or stuff, and make no hasty pre- get it mistakes buying stuff you dont need. Were rooting for you, but relax. it'll happen sooner than your ready for. If you just 'GOT'A' buy stuff, ccequiptment has some cold-weather fronts for the Deuce, for 45 + - shipped, get something like that to wile away the time till it arives. Well hoping for ya get'in it soon
this is in no way meant in a bad way...........and quite common. And it's always cool to see a member SO jazzed

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks