• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Defroster issues

fireman9

Ok so we had the first crappy snow/rain storm of the year today and I was foolish enough to go for a drive before it started. Needless to say I found out that I do indeed need new windshield gaskets/seals etc. but I had my trusty roll of duct tape and after a short stop on the side of the road and several feet of tape later no more water leaks for now. Things changed slightly when the temp dropped and the snow was coming down pretty hard. My truck has a heater and makes pretty good heat compaired to my CJ7, but the defroster plain sucks. I had heat on the passengers side of the windshield but not the drivers side. Checked the hoses for holes ( I had my tape ready ) but found none and checked the plenum and diverter door for full travel ( both OK). Whats behind the dash for plumbing between the defrost hose and outlet vents? It was dark by the time I got home, and I didn't feel like standing in the freezing rain/ snow to look under the dashboard.

Carl_in_NH

I have two deuces - and both of them don't have enough airflow on the drivers side to defrost "properly". Heat, yes - defrost, not so much.

I'm thinking I'll keep a scraper, towel, and some spray de-ice stuff in the cab just-in-case. And I ordered a radiator cover, too. I suspect it will help some to get things a little warmer.

roscoe

I have a brand new window on the drivers side, and it leaked the same as the other side. I think thats just what they do. I would like to get one of the winter fronts also.

I did find that the windshield wipers get better (even out) the more they run. I drove for 6+ hours the other day in the rain to pick up my 1st of 2 m105 trailers.

Last edited:

fireman9

It has lots of heat and air on the passenger side inner vent and there wasn't any snow on windshield overthere, I even tried blocking off the vent overthere thats why I was wondering if something was messed up or plugged by a mouse.
As far as a front end cover, not yet. The engine runs at 185 nicely all the time. I was thinking of removing the cooling fan for the winter and considering replacing it with an electric unit. It would free up alittle horsepower and hopefully eliminate lots of noise.

Last edited:

1qwkgoat

Mine does the same thing. 3x the air flow on the passenger side. I'm actually just getting ready to go out and pull the ducting apart to check for any kind of blockage. If I find none and it is just in the design of the plenum box. I'll put a damper(valve) or something to restrict the passenger side flow. Then puttng in new thermostat and waiting on my artic front to arrive

cbvet

My first Deuce, which was set up for the arctic, has the heater mounted under the dash. I also use the grill cover.
Works very well both heat & defrost down to 10. Haven't driven it in colder weather.
I will put the heater in my second Deuce under the dash too. I might even try to relocate the M813 heater .

fireman9

I was thinkin of tring that, but wasn't sure what else was up there. Is the upper vent stamped in the dash sheet metal? Or does the diverter box just favor the right side?

rlwm211

I was driving Jeeps back in the 60's and 70's...the old CJ-2As no heat, or little or no heat. I always had a scraper and clean rag inside as it was suggested to do previously in this post.

My current M35-A2C has a heater, externally mounted on the inner fender. I was wondering why the thing did not blow like it should, pulled off a duct and found a bunch of junk in a wad in the inlet to the fan. I also found the defroster cable end was off the actualtor and the defrost was not actually "defrosting". I fixed that, cleaned and checked all the ductsand will wait for the next out door adventure with the deuce to try this out. I am suffering from the flu, which may be due to the lack of heat on my last trup. Not sure to be honest...
As to the wipers, I shoot a dash of silicone spray into the air line where it comes out of the dash and copnnects to the line to both motors. After spraying them, I run them for a minute or so. This seems to keep them happy and working properly. I use pure 100% silicone as it will not destroy seals and other parts like an oil would.
Best of luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks