• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GPR109 installed, GP controller card hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckmaw

This morning after starting the motor, I was looking under the hood and noticed the stock GPR post moving about a 1/4 inch every time it energized during the afterglow cycle. I figured it was time to change it.

After diving into the FAQ, I went to NAPA and purchased a GPR109 and installed it.

The 109 small post are marked with a S and I, the stock one was not. After reading several thread, it was stated that it did not matter which small wire went on either post, so I hooked it all back up.

I have the "hot electrical stuff" smell in the cab and my GP controller card is hot to the touch. The relay did energize and complete the afterglow cycle while the engine warmed up but the smell was there.

Should I swap the light blue wire to the other post?

Suggestions?

4bogginchevys

No, it is not important to switch the posts...I speak from experience

Some of the smarter electrical minds on this site have contributed to my truck being fixed!

as far as preventitive measure on your GP card....i'm not aware there is any other than make sure terminals are clean

It sounds exactly like what just happened to me....my GP card burned out in less than 2 weeks after the SMELL had started.....it burned out and I took dogheads advice and wired in a push button switch and now I do it manually

7 dollar switch fixed it

I am curious though, is your small orange voltage sensing wire on the input or output side of relay?
Mine was on the input side and it seems possible that thats why mine burned out.
Another caution would be that at the same time as my GP card burned out...the relay did too.

good luck and report back if you can on the results:!:

Last edited:

Buckmaw

No, it is not important to switch the posts...I speak from experience

Some of the smarter electrical minds on this site have contributed to my truck being fixed!

as far as preventitive measure on your GP card....i'm not aware there is any other than make sure terminals are clean

It sounds exactly like what just happened to me....my GP card burned out in less than 2 weeks after the SMELL had started.....it burned out and I took dogheads advice and wired in a push button switch and now I do it manually

7 dollar switch fixed it

I am curious though, is your small orange voltage sensing wire on the input or output side of relay?
Mine was on the input side and it seems possible that thats why mine burned out.
Another caution would be that at the same time as my GP card burned out...the relay did too.

good luck and report back if you can on the results:!:
The orange wire was/is on the output side of the relay.
I let the motor cool down and I reinstalled the stock relay and it all works, including the wait light.
I still am not sure just what happened with so many people running the GPR109 but mine was having issues for sure.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the relay you installed had it's small terminals labeled with "S" and "I", it is NOT an "Isolated" relay(the coil has to be Isolated from the mounting tabs).

The Napa GPR109 relay does not have the terminals labeled(nothing!)

Here is a link to the NAPA GPR109 glow plug relay.
Glow Plug Controller

Attachments

Last edited:

Buckmaw

If the relay you installed had it's small terminals labeled with "S" and "I", it is NOT an "Isolated" relay(the coil has to be Isolated from the mounting tabs).

The Napa GPR109 relay does not have the terminals labeled(nothing!)

Here is a link to the NAPA GPR109 glow plug relay.
Glow Plug Controller
The GPR109 I got from NAPA most certainly did have I & S marked on it. It may have got put in the wrong box. I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the powerstroke relay.

I am going to let the card stay in as long as it's working. I have wire, terminals and a switch in my "oh ****" box to rig up a manual control in case of failure.

idM1028

I do like the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" from Oreilly's.
I got my relay from NAPA. Decent price, ($30 give or take) But I do like anything with a lifetime warranty. Case in point, I've got the Caddy amp in my GEN1 spot. My first one went bad after a couple months (the bearing went out causing the fan to smack the case) Took it out, brought it in, got a new one in 10 minutes or less. Didn't pay a penny. If it'll work on the truck, and its got a lifetime warranty, it'll save you money in the long run.

sierrajcharlie

Did you mean S-603? BWD Solenoid, Part #S603

EDIT- They charged me $49 here in Montana. :( I do like the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" from Oreilly's.
Finally just changed mine. Was getting 10 volts on the load side of the one in there, 12.8 volt on the line side. Paid $39.99 here, I wonder why the difference in pricing? And YES, do like the warranty. Also got some 3/4 in heater hose while there and paid 1.49/ft.
At the local hardware store it was .79/ft. for the same stuff!aua
Yeah it was only 4 ft but.......... Oh well, its fixed!

kentuckycucv

My old Glow Plug Relay.
It says
98226 12v/cont
TORQUE MAX CAMDEC CORP. has a date on it 9/19/96
SM 15 IN.- LBS
LG 35 IN. -LBS

Looks like it was a good one, has copper lugs. I did a search and I couldnt find it. i got some hits an WARN wench seinoids.
You guys like pics. so here you go.

Attachments

seabee mike

I just like to revive this. I bought the NAPA relay GPR109 and it has the I and S marking but I checked to see if the mounting bracket is grounded by placing it on the battery post and jumping a positive wire to each post. It did not spark or anything. That means it should work right?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not cross post.

You were told how to test in in your other thread.

Follow up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks