• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought home my 1st deuce today!

ivbeenrokd

Brought home my 1st deuce today! PICS Added!

Okay, so I bought and brought home my 1st deuce today. I bought it from Rockman (aka Bill). Drove it about 100 miles to get it home and it drove great. It does have a sometimes slight and sometimes rough vibration between 44-52mph. Any thought on that?

It's a 1966 Kaiser with the whistler turbo, troop carrier, michelin's, singles on the rears, air disco front, spring seat, etc. etc.

Overall I am very happy and look forward to the future use and future improvements.

I will try to get some pics up soon.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Excellent, nothing like bringing home the first deuce. Both exciting and terrifying at the same time. My first thoughts..."Gosh is this engine going to blow up...why is it so loud". "What is that rub, ping, rattle, and shake" "Oh God please let me make it home!!"
Now I just think "Ok is my truck going to stop:roll:"

djimmy31

Sounds like it was pretty uneventful trip home which is my eyes is a good thing!!! I got my first deuce a few days ago and it was a blast driving it the first time.

BugEyeBear

It does have a sometimes slight and sometimes rough vibration between 44-52mph. Any thoughts on that?....
My '71 seems to be noisiest between about 47-50mph. Seems to be a natural frequency harmonic zone that naturally quiets down as I pass the 50mph mark. Seems more prominent when under load (going up hill) vs when cruising level or coasting.

As long as I keep it at approx 50-55mph it seems to run smooth & relatively quiet.

How bad is your vibration?
Where does it seem to come from?
Drivetrain? Tires/wheels?
Does it lessen above 52mph?
Do your tires show any signs of irregular wear?
Have you driven ANOTHER Deuce to see how it compares to your's?

CONGRATS on the new "toy"!

-Bear-

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe it's a deuce thing...I swear to god, mine tries to "rock" me to sleep between 47 and 52 MPH. once I get above the 52....she's as smooth as a babies bottom.

Oh, congrats on the truck...and I can't believe I get to be the first person to do this...

nopics

BugEyeBear

BTW: Your BUTT is simply gonna LOVE that Spring Seat!!

When I bought my '71 Deuce I didn't know that it had a spring seat.
What a GREAT Suprise that was at pick-up!!

Now I just need to get ANOTHER for the passenger's side! (I'm already tired of listening to passengers complain about their solid mount seat.)

OH, & IF you don't have them already, I'd suggest installing the electric wipers. SO MUCH better than the vacuum jobs!

When you get the chance, look thru the PM articles. Lots of useful info in there to help you get familiar with your truck.
Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite
Then download the service manuals...
Deuce - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite
But one thing to note is that frequently there is updated info or procedures that are not included in these manuals. Doesn't hurt to search the forum and/or post a question before beginning any new repair task.
Even something as simple as fluids selection can be CRITICAL for these "old school" machines!

ENJOY your new TOY!!

-Bear-

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up my deuce and drove it back 350+ miles to the house. I noticed the same noises you were refering to, most machinery I have operated had the same type of noises at certain RPMs. Mine seems to come from just below or just aft of the drivers seat, so I would assume it came from the drivetrain. You have to pay attendtion to hear it, it was not obvious. I do not know if this is normal and I an certain someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Congrats on your latest addition to your family! :razz:

ivbeenrokd

Glad the trip went well and truck behaved. Did your navigator take a turn at the wheel?

Bill

Bill,

If you're referring to my wife, then no way, she has no desire to drive it. If you referring to Brandon, he didn't, but probably will soon.

It was a great ride home with nothing significant to talk about. I did get a few neighbor's attention within 30 minutes of having it home, luckily it was good attention and not bad. One neighbor even said "I just love having it in the neighborhood so I can drive by and look at it"!

ivbeenrokd

congrats!! whats next?? you cannot have just one!!
It will have to be only one for now. We're planning to build a new house within the next 12-18 months, so we've got to save our money. Besides, I can only drive one at a time anyway and I already have a Jeep addiction and a 1967 Mercury Cougar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks