• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A3 spare tire mount

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Anyone have any pics of the A3 spare tire mount? I am using an A3 rim and tire for a spare and the backset of the rim doesn't really work with my A2 spare carrier. Before I go crazy building a "Gimpyrig" I'd like to see a factory mount. TIA.

Happyland1410

We recently got an A3 for our fire department. If nobody else already has a picture, I can go
take one of the spare mount after work tomorrow. Ours has a spare mounted. Are there any dimension details you need? I can take some measurements while I'm there.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pics, plus a diagram (from the book) plus some of my own solutions....
For the stock A3 wheel/14.5R20 combo on a A2 you only need to lower the original carrier about 2". In the case of the A3 it was moved down, to the back and outside via that C-spacer.

G.

Attachments

rwoods

Anyone have any pics of the A3 spare tire mount? I am using an A3 rim and tire for a spare and the backset of the rim doesn't really work with my A2 spare carrier. Before I go crazy building a "Gimpyrig" I'd like to see a factory mount. TIA.
I don't know anything about the quality of a Gimpyrig, but before you complete dismiss it note in the photos that the factory set up leaves the shaft pointed slightly upward once you crank the rim up snug. My M35A3 is even worse than that shown. As you know these things can break your arm perfectly straight.

gimpyrobb

Thanks GT! Thats what I needed. I will go ahead with my plans of making some kind of spacer to go on the bottom of the stock bracket. Yes, I will be carefull when working with this mount.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Yesterday, 21:36
post #5 (permalink)

gringeltaube
4 Star General

Here are some pics, plus a diagram (from the book) plus some of my own solutions....
For the stock A3 wheel/14.5R20 combo on a A2 you only need to lower the original carrier about 2". In the case of the A3 it was moved down, to the back and outside via that C-spacer.

G."

Thanks for the pics!
I need to move the spare carrier on my A2 so that I can carry the same wheel as the rest of my truck also. I see it invloves moving the mount outward, downward, and back for the needed application. Also, the spring mount bed bolts have to be flipped above the mount as seen in the pics below.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

I got it covered. Just came in from Gimpyrigging it. I have 395s on my truck and am using an A3 rim and 14.50R20 as a spare. I figure if cars can use a tiny tire, so can the deuce. If I put it on and there is any trouble, I will simply pull the axle from where the tire is.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11echo you have it singled out with 395's? im also curious on how people with the 395s carry their spare if any at all?
No, I haven't got that big of rubber, yet. I singled the truck out and used tubeless wheels. These rims won't work with the stock spare mount. I'm currently using a 11.00 on a stock wheel for a spare. There is a need to move these mounts out, down, and back for larger diameter tires. Here are a few pics showing the close clearance of the 11.00 in stock location.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

To add a little bit of info to this thread, I chose to extend the studs on the plate rather than extend the whole assembly out and down. I didn't want that bar to stick out any farther than it does stock.

tm america

I have 15.5s on my truck with a 15.5 for a spare all on stock rims stock spare carrier..Heres some pics only mods are to the tool box and tool box bracket..I cut the lip off the tool box bracket with the plasma cutter and put a curve in the rear tool box wall with the bfh...

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Gimp,

I saw one come through that had a 2" or slightly larger square tubing. The welded it up into an "H" shape. This spaced the tire below the tire mount and allowed for the extra size. I'll have to see if I can contact the folks and get a picture of it. They used these on all their trucks and it prevented the frame from compressing the side of any of their tires.

I know, I suck at explaining this. I need to get a picture rather than wasting a thousand words.

skinnyR1

To add a little bit of info to this thread, I chose to extend the studs on the plate rather than extend the whole assembly out and down. I didn't want that bar to stick out any farther than it does stock.
Gimp,

I had a bald 14.5R on an a3 wheel crashing around in the bed, that I finally tried to put in the spare tire area. I am experiencing the same thing, where the tire hits the frame before the wheel hits the carrier. The long studs and spacer seems to be the easiest solution.

So the questions are, where did you source it, and what did you use for an extended stud? How big of a spacer is required?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks