• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw and touched my first deuce today!

Gunfreak25

I found 2 M35A2's in here in town! Went to look at them today, poor little truck was sitting way back in a corner of junk with broken down vehicles all around her. I couldn't help but open her up and climb into the cab to get behind the wheel. It was that very moment that she and I had this magical bond between us. I suddenly felt the urge I had to hug the steering wheel and talk to the old girl. The inside was sun rotted, the dash was peeling, the seats were reduced to nothing more than rotted wood, the winshield had a bullet hole in it and beer bottles littered her bed. I popped the side engine panel to see if I could find the engine tag. Sure enough, way down in there riveted onto the side of the 1800lb engine block was a metal tag that read "White MULTI-FUEL". I climbed behind the steering wheel once more to say my goodbye's to the old girl. Words can't describe that feeling you get looking over that dashboard and steering wheel only to see 5 feet of solid truck in front of you, I felt like I was ontop of the world. I opened the fuel tank only to find 50 gallons of very stale diesel. As I left the truck to go home, I felt like I was leaving behind a loved one. I could hear her calling to me, "come back!". I know it sounds wierd, but I am IN LOVE with these trucks. It's like that movie "Christine" where he falls in love with that old car. These trucks are living breathing pieces of history that speak to you, unlike a brand new chevy or ford. Unforunately the guy wanted $5,500 for this thing. It didn't even had a top, and was rusted beyond belief. It was a 70's AM General by the way. On Monday I will be calling the Army recruiters office. I want to take my ASVAB, and if I do well I hope to enlist. Not just because I need a job, but I want my chance to make a difference in the world. My plan is to buy my Deuce with the enlistment bonus I would receive. Wish me luck you guys! -Tom

area52

You are not that far away from Jacks Surplus. Search on here and you will find where it is ( some where in southern AZ). You will think you've died and gone to heaven when you see that place!!:-D

GoHot229

Be your best then, The military is in early retirment/downsize mode presently. You will have to be better than marginal, and in a needed MOS (job designation) choose that well before you go to the recruiters. And if you do get in, well good luck. It builds charactor. Joining as a reason to get a Deuce......... well now thats not so good of an idea.

greenjeepster

I enlisted at 17 fresh out of school, If I had it to do over again I would go to college first and go in at a higher rank than E1. But that is just me, some people do well working up through the ranks, others not so much.

WPNS421

You just got infected with the green disease, I first touched a dead M37 sitting in a field and the indection has spread to 11 trucks, 2 MKT and trailers. They have not found a cure for MV disease, except maybe owning one more. I commend you wanting to join the military and as GoHot229 be prepared when you speak to the recruter, know what you want but be flexible.. Did 27 years and loved it:-D:-D, would go back for seconds if I could.

Srjeeper

Well 'Gunfreak25' ya just went and got yourself bit by the OD Bug. There's no cure, it's not treatable, but it's only fatal to your wallet.

As far as enlisting to get the bonus to get a truck? You really want to rethink that one.

Enlist because you want to serve your country, you feel it's your duty as an american, whatever, but not to buy a truck. Once your in you'll be way to busy to do anything with the truck. Those folks at home will quickly get sick of lookin at it and one day it'll be gone.

Trucks will come and go but you need to tackle one thing at a time. Once you get in you'll see and learn so much that you may find other things capture your intrests more than Old Iron.

2cents

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I retired after 34 years of Active Duty, Army Reserve and National Guard time.....the effort was always worth it.....you will meet some great folks that you will never forget (even if you never see them again.
Sign up for an MOS that will translate into a civilian job is you decide the military is not for you. There is not a lot of civilain jobs that require loading explosive shells into the breach of a cannon.
Once you choose your job DO NOT allow them to change you mind at the MEPS station...they are trying to fill slots...they are not worried about your future.
If you need assistance PM me for a phone number and I'll give you some tips.
Before you take the ASFAB get a study guide (the recruiter can give you one)...the higher your score the more jobs you will be offered.
Enlistment bonuses are nice but you can also get choice of duty assignment and that can be better than money.
You might even get lucky and end up near a "Green Iron Addiction Support Group"...we don't have no stinking 12 step program but we sure got a lot of cool toys.:-D

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the bug at Ft. Sill during Arty school. My det only had deuces, so that's what we rode in. First time I heard one fire up I thought... One day.... I WILL have one!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might even get lucky and end up near a "Green Iron Addiction Support Group"...we don't have no stinking 12 step program but we sure got a lot of cool toys.:-D

:funny:

WM:
Thanks for giving the lad some worthy input. and for lending your mentorship.

Future Recruit(s):
Heed the wisdom of those who have gone through the mine field before you. Follow in their footsteps and the experience is unlikely to blow up under your a$$:!:

redcoat54th

I second that. I joined the British army at 15. Went to college on their penny and did my 6 years of Cold War service in Germany. Loved germany and the excitement of all the heavy metal EVERYWHERE.
Got out. Got married to an American lady and moved over here. Joined the US army and flew Hueys: Alabama and Alaska. Joined in '75 just after 'Nam. Got out in 1980.
I denied my green cravings until a few years ago. Oh boy! I can own my own ******* ( fill in the blank).
Once you go Green a civvy truck just does not cut it EVER. Sorry to say young man, a Deuce is only the start. Then comes the trailer, generator, uniform, radios, firepower and FIREPOWER. It never ends and you dont want it too either.
I just bought a Deuce here in Minnesota for $3000. Solid running truck. A little rust but nothing I cant fix. Hope you have a place to store your truck while you are away serving your country. Something to think about. Even green iron does not like to sit around unattended for years.
The military is one place to enjoy your cravings but its not all fun and games these days. Like wreckerman said pick a good trade, one you will enjoy and can do when you get out. You have a future ahead of you. Not too much call for a grunt in civvy street but it will make you a much better American. Good luck to you. I salute you. CW2 Bob Hill

Attachments

KsM715

Not just because I need a job, but I want my chance to make a difference in the world. My plan is to buy my Deuce with the enlistment bonus I would receive. Wish me luck you guys! -Tom
Sounds like he's not joining up just to get a truck, thats just a little bonus.

Good for you wanting to do your part. [thumbzup]

Gunfreak25

As said above, I do not want to join the Military just to get a job or buy a truck. That would be very foolish, to say the least. The truck would just be a little extra gravy. There are numerous reasons as to why I want to join. Millions of men before me have fought and died for my freedom. This freedom is what too many people take for granted anymore. I want to serve so that someday I can look back and say I made a difference in the world. Another reason is my real father was an M.P in the 80's, my grandfather wasn't in the service but at 70 years old he said he is quite sorry he didn't join. Believe it or not, joining is something my entire family thinks would be a good idea, even my own mother has told me it would be a great experience for me. In a sence, it would be foolish for me NOT to join. Heck I almost live a Military lifestyle already. I have a load of firearms, I love to shoot. I polish and clean my boots everyday, and now I want to drive a Military truck around. The idea of sitting in a fox hole or standing in line for the duration of the day actually appeals to me. :lol: I will keep you guys updated from time to time, on how my enlistment goes.

I would never in a million years pay the $5500 the guy wants for that deuce. Maybe $2000 tops. I looked at it again today, it actually appears to be well maintained, the only thing wrong with it that I can see so far is the inside of the cab has been exposed to the sun for awhile. A few bolts, new seats and a paint job would make it a pretty sweet ride. I plan to get my deuce from Hundy over in California. Only about 4 or 5 hours away from here, and I hear excellent things about him and his trucks.

-Tom

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
God bless and guide you in your decisions! Service isn't for everyone, yet for those that do accept that tremendous obligation, it is a part of their life they never will forget! Good luck with your choices.
God bless, Good luck!:-D
Tony

Ryan Gruetter

Congrats on that, and I wish you the most luck I can... When you get the deuce, how bout you drive it up to the northeast... say... East Haddam, CT? I would LOVE to see it. I went to a jeep jamboree here in CT once. There was a deuce and a half, but can't remember quite which one, it did a two minute rock crawl in, oh... about twenty seconds! Trust me, you'll have fun with it!

Gunfreak25

Wow! This is a very old thread. Guess I should give everyone an update then. The Army decided because I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot that joining would make me a danger to others. As long as I have my shoe inserts I can do everything just as good as any other person, unfortunately I was told by several recruiters that shoe inserts are a no go. I was all ready to board the shuttle and was on my way to the Military Entrance Processing Station when I told them about my foot. Boy, that was disappointing. I guess everything happens for a reason though.

I did however pick up my deuce. Not an A2 Multifuel but an early Korean era deuce. Re-powered with a 455 Oldsmobile and turbo 400 tranny. I felt this would be better suited to around town driving than the big Multifuel, which I'd probably burn the clutch out on from the small town driving I do. Everyone has Multifuels anyway, I know of less than 3 people nation wide that have M211's powered by Oldsmobile big blocks. The thing could pull a Multifuel in low range backwards any day of the week. Lots of power... :driver:

Last edited by a moderator:

Oilleaker1

Your description of feelings of a Deuce were inspiring to me. I already have one, and you are not far off. One of my best all time friends was a wrestling state champ, no fat, the nicest guy you could meet. He could do things no one else could think of. All muscle and tough. He went down to serve his country and tried to enlist for service in Vietnam. The weight, height, girth, chart put him in the catagory of------Obese!!!!! He could have picked the examiner up over his head. They refused him! Anyway, he probably would have the congressional medal of honor now. Their loss, my gain. The Gov't moves in non-understandable ways. Enjoy the hobby and stay tuned here!;) John