• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1009 Media Center

Buckmaw

I am really enjoying my M1009 and thanks to the guys at the Lone Star Military Vehicle Preservation Association, I have had a chance to let others enjoy it also.

While I enjoy the moan of the 6.2 under the hood, I felt it was time to get some of my E-lec-tronic doohickies in the truck.

I did not want to go hacking and cutting on the truck to get my stuff in there so here is what I did. I got on craigslist and found a center console that just happens to match the seats, for $20. It has holes for 4 bolts, but I used just 2.

I ran power from the batt +12vdc lug on the fuse panel back to the console using black wire loom. The ground was installed on one of the 2 bolts holding the console in. I installed a hot bus and ground bus on the bottom front of the console to wire in all the fancy doohickies. All antenna wiring is in looms.

For the Scanner and FM antenna, I used the military antenna that was on the truck. It just happens to utilize a BNC connector and the jumper was still with the truck. I ran the antenna lead to the console, installed a BNC "T" and hooked it to the scanner. I used a BNC to RG58 connector and wired it into a
standard FM antenna lead and hook it up.... I can pick up FM stations from Waco (I'm in the Austin area) and the scanner works GREAT!

For the CB, I picked up another antenna mount and installed it on the drivers side. I know this is not the "ideal" spot for a CB, but it will have to do. I took some thin steel plate and riveted it to make a secure spot for my beehive mount. I used a firestick heavy duty spring and put a Francis antenna on it.
I will be covering the chrome with some OD. As you see, it also made a ideal spot for the satellite radio antenna to go. It picks up full signal and is out of sight unless you walk right up on it.

The speakers are Kenwood 5x7 (also got off craigslist). My measurements indicated a pair of 6x9's would be too large to fit in the console. I cut out
holes on the bottom half of the console and mounted them on the inside. I will be putting some generic speaker covers over the hole when I find some. I had to cut the liner for the console, but hey, its only $20. The console acts as a speaker box and best of all it sounds GREAT.

I put external speakers on for the CB and the Scanner using the military speaker (after removing the transformer) for the scanner.

So from top to bottom:
12vdc accessory plugs
Sony Radio
800mhz Scanner (yea I know, its old, but it does what I want)
40ch SSB CB
Sirius Satellite Radio

And the best thing is I can disconnect a few wires, pull 2 bolts and the whole thing comes right out and no one is the wiser.

I also installed a temp gauge next to the volt meter. I dont trust the idiot light.
I'm thinking of putting a oil pressure gauge in also.

And now for the pics...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks