• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

white smoke no start

jsbrewster1

i have had my 1008 for about 3 weeks now and has started everytime until the other day.
batterys are fully charged and it trys to start but will not fire. after cranking it for a few seconds i get a lot of white smoke.
i don't have many tools and am new to diesels
any help would be nice... thanks

Westech

CPL
well you have to find out why there not working first. Look in the TM section or "search" it on the forum and Im sure you will find out whats wrong and how to test and what to test.

jsbrewster1

thanks do these glow plugs seem to go out often? i am wanting to use my new truck as a daily driver but i can't afford it to be broke down all the time.. any suggestions on how to make it more reliable?

91W350

Generally after the white smoke starts rolling they will start, if your cranking speed is high enough. A set of glow plugs and probably a control card will probably do wonders for you. The 6.2 may not be a powerhouse, but if properly maintained, it is very reliable and quite economical. These trucks are all getting to be 25 years old, or very close, and the glow plugs are about the only electronic operated component in the truck. That is the beauty of these trucks in my opinion, simple, mechanical and built stout. :wink:

91W350

He is talking about turning the key off after the plugs cycle, then turning it on again to start another cycle, in cooler weather three or four cycles might help. What it does is allow the heat from the good plugs to warm the combustion chamber a little more for an easier start. I had one that I crippled along with for a couple of years before I swapped out the plugs and it was so much nicer when it was right. Glen

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Mine was doing the same thing,I raplaced the glow plugs today and it starts right up.I got them off ebay.

CUCV85

I replaced the glow plugs one year ago with correct 070 Wellman GP which it had in it when I bought from military.
I had trouble starting it last week so I replaced again,
worked great for a week. Same thing, white smoke no start.
I am not replacing the gp's again. I've had this for 3 years and had two sets installed now!
I replaced the GP relay from anohter cucv I have that works right.
So it is not the GP relay.
I checked all my fuses, replaced them all with new ones when I got it from the military. I am totally stumped, reading -20 now under trouble shoot no start. By the way the fuel system is good. HELP

Last edited:

CUCV85

Mine was doing the same thing,I raplaced the glow plugs today and it starts right up.I got them off ebay.
check fuses! On the gm 6.2 it was common for glow plugs to go bad
did you let it cycle a few times then try to start it
I've heard from a few fellas
that you shouldn't cycle these glow plugs on this type of set up.
I know when you have good glow plugs only one cycle is needed,
one shot one kill?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks