• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Govt liquidations. M35A v. suburban, cucv, excursion, trailer need Bug out vehicle

alfred10

How much are the fees for government liquidation purchases in PA or fron Fort Drum NYC for a PA resident. I am looking at prices on the M35A2 and A3 as well as trailer prices. What taxes and fees other than bid price do I pay? I seen some A3's with a start bid of 150.00

How good are the military trailers?

How does an M35A2/A3 compare to an excursion, 80's suburban or other similar pickup, or newer suburban. I am looking for a vehicle

I need a vehicle that I can off road in a SHTF situation and to use to get to work in the snow and ice. I am considering a CUCV or 80's suburban due to the lesser ammounts of eletronics and failure prone devices. It just seems like the M35 would take me and my friends deeper in the woods and also ride safer in the snow. Especially if I bought a camper back version. My only concern is maint. and up keep since I am not a mechanic.

Off hand does anyone know how much more their non comercial insurance is with a m35a3 vs the a2?

I am possibly looking for a trailer and it seems like the government ones are cheap and durable.

nhdiesel

From your questions, it seems like you are pretty new to military vehicles. Please excuse me if I'm wrong on that, but I'll answer as if you are pretty new. I'm not all that experienced myself, but my father is, and I've driven some of his, and am working on getting two Deuces myself. I've learned the rest on this site.

Fees: GL charges 10% of the selling price for their fee. So if you win an $1100 truck, you'll be paying $1210 for it. Add to that any local sale's tax, and GL does add it in. I had to pay 7% iirc for the one in N.J., but no tax was charged for my Kentucky Deuce.

Don't go by the starting bids for anything except trailers. Deuces seem to go from $900-$4000+ depending on condition, location, luck, and truck options. A3s are the highest priced. You can find a decent Deuce for $1000-$1500 pretty easily. But keep in mind, when bidding through GL, you never know what you'll get. You can save money, but you are taking a chance. Don't assume they are drivable, even if they say they were driven in. Use the description as a rough guide only. Also they often list options wrong. I've seen them say a truck had a winch when it didn't, etc. Go by the pictures.

Driving a Deuce: Have you ever driven one? If not, you are in for a big surprise. They are actually pretty easy to drive, except for 1 big thing- no power steering! On the road this isn't an issue, but moving around a parking lot is a challenge. The first time you need to make a quick turn you'll be quite surprised. They also have a huge turning radius.

Bad weather: If the truck has NDTs (the old-style bias ply tires, Non Directional Tread) then it will suck on plowed roads that are slick. I've heard they can be slippery just on wet roads! Radials are a bit better. For snow driving, you can get better traction by "singling them out". If you've ever driven a 1-ton dually in the snow you'll know how bad a dually is for traction. The rear floats but doesn't bite down. The Deuce is easily set up for single rear wheel by flipping the hubs.

Daily Driver: Forget it unless you like to abuse yourself. To start with the trucks have NO insulation. They are noisy all the time, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. If you can live with that (like me...I, for some reason, thrive on abuse) then you still have the size. Forget parking spaces. You'll take 2. See above comments about navigating around a parking lot. This can be made easier by "bobbing" it...do a search on this site for lots of info about that. That would make it steer better, drive better and easier, fit in regular parking spaces, etc. It would be more like driving a 1-ton truck...except rough, loud, and drafty.

Off Road: That depends on the kinds of trails you have. These trucks are pretty big and don't turn tight. If your trails are tight and twisty, forget a Deuce. But if you have larger, wider trails it would probably work. In stock form with NDT tires, they aren't a tank off road like you would think they are. They are good, but not great. Most 1-ton trucks could do as well. A slightly lifted 1-ton with good tires and lockers will walk all over a stock Deuce off road. Of course by upgrading the Deuce it can do better. Larger radial tires, for example, is a good upgrade.

You can't really compare a Deuce to a Suburban, etc. but I'll try:
Cargo capacity: The Deuce will hold tons more (literally) but unless you have cargo bows and canvas, it will be in the weather. Forget interior storage- unless it fits in the glove box, its going in the bed.

Seating: Obviously the Deuce doesn't compare.

Driving: See my comments above.

Maintnance: Maintenance level on the Deuce isn't too bad, but for just about anything that breaks, you'll be ordering it in and waiting. Parts aren't all that expensive, its locating them quickly that can be the problem.

Insurance: Do some searches on here. Insurance has been a big topic lately. Its not that it comes out all that expensive...and an A3 shouldn't cost any more than an A2...its finding an insurance company that will insure it, especially for daily driver use. Most companies will only insure it cheaply as a collector/antique vehicle, and require that it be kept in a locked garage, and only driven to and from specialty events like parades and shows. Forget hauling home supplies from Home Depot. I got lucky though with a New England insurer.

Your best bet is to ask on here to find someone local to you, and see if they will take you for a ride, or better yet, let you try driving their truck. Only then will you understand.

Good luck, I'm sure lots of others will be jumping in.

Jim

zb39

In PA you will pay 6% plus your 10 %. From Ft Drum you will pay 7% plus 10 %, both are over and above your winning bid price..:-D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If SEPHIROTHQ has some trucks for sale right near you, I'd check his inventory out. I can tell you that his prices are reasonable from past listings, especially for a truck that you can test drive. PM him for details.

alfred10

I am very new to military vehicles and am trying to learn as much as possible. Maybe a CUCV would better fit my needs? Not sure why they only go 55 mph. The deuce appeals to me since it can be had with a camper back. What would it take to live in the back of one in a cold climate such as a winter hunting portable cabin or long term natural diaster living.

I live near Bethlehem PA. Do they make a CUCV with a camper back?

nhdiesel

Yup, do a search on here for "shelter camper" there have been several done. Seems pretty easy to do. If you are looking for more of a daily driver, look for one of the CUCVs with an ambulance body on the back.

Not trying to turn you away from a Deuce, just want to make sure you check out all options. Deuces are cool, get lots of attention, and are a blast to drive.

Jim

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason for the CUCV doing only 55, gearing. Fronts and rears are 4.56 with a trasmission with no overdrive, TH400. All of the drivetrain is very HD.

You can go faster by swapping out to a OD tranny or increasing the tire diameter.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

If you are considering buying from GL be sure to go to that section of this forum and read up. It is not a normal kind of buying experience and if you read a lot on all the bad that can happen, you will be prepared for the worse. Like the wait between the time you spend your money and the time you pick the item up can sometimes be months.

army70deuce

I would recommend the CUCV (old blazer style), however, if you decide to go with a Deuce just let me say that you can find answers to any question you have here, and the people are really quick with responses. A camera is your best friend, take a picture, post it (with an arrow pointed at the spot you want) and ask what is this? Also, as far as maintenance, you can get most of the manuals here or online for free, better yet, if you have a National Guard armory nearby then there is probably a maintenance shop with soldiers who work as maintenance techs as their day to day job keeping up the state's equipment. Talk to them and you can probably get a manual for free (since they are getting rid of the deuces) and lots of soldiers who wouldn't mind earning some extra money showing you how to work on military vehicles (might have to find the old crusty ones for deuces though).

TIGERFANS2

"Seating: Obviously the Deuce doesn't compare."

actually it's the Suburban that doesn't compare......... now as far as comfort in the back, well I don't ride in the back so no problem :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks