• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone else see that torpedo boat?

yolner

I like to look through the boat category on GL and a week or two they had a freakin huge torpedo boat up. Did anyone else drool over that? I giggled like a little girl when I read that it had two 1800hp (might be wrong) diesels. Wish I had the bank account to buy one of those and hire a crew to run it.

SGTStewart

I like to look through the boat category on GL and a week or two they had a freakin huge torpedo boat up. Did anyone else drool over that? I giggled like a little girl when I read that it had two 1800hp (might be wrong) diesels. Wish I had the bank account to buy one of those and hire a crew to run it.
Why is this in the Deuce area?

Snarky

Some nice mod will move this thread. I'm sure.

I drooled over that boat. If you had a captain's license and the money for fuel you could have been well set for that beast. You could have used it as a crew boat, or converted it for fishing. Perhaps even turned it into a home.

AndrewH

I saw it, had to go to the ER. Dehydrated myself drooling! I loves my boats, LOVES MY BOATS! That was a cool one. Not sure why you would want to be on a "tprpedo retrever" but it bas a cool boat.

Snarky

I think it was about 80 feet. It was a monster steel hulled diesel drinker, with all the Navy Markings. Of course, everyone who knows anything about boats knows that Murphy is always on the bridge, and in the engineering room of every large craft. That's one of those boats where you'll go out with 2 engines and come back with one.

Scarecrow1

Oh yes indeed to all the above, every time I saw it I chuckled Remembering the now famous words of Chief Broady in jaws ( WE need a bigger boat ) Well Chief that one would do quite nicely LOL

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances are one of the not for profits got their paperwork in for a transfer to the sea scouts or something just under the wire, and it had to be pulled. The Naval Sea Cadets have a converted torpedo weapons retriever in Michigan. Called "Greyfox", its got "issues" due to its being converted to a passenger carrying boat by having the retriever deck removed and a large house added on. Too much weight for her to haul around, not enough proper maints on engines and gensets. Of coarse, takin her to the "tug races" in Detroit didn't help her any either. Now they want the Navy to give them a yard patrol boat, (YP) from the Academy. Yep, silly people. Our op., we took smaller ones, a 64 foot ex WWII mine maintenance boat, and three LCM-8's. Hey AndrewH, that LCM-6 behind the "deuce" your's???

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw it and cringed. steel hull...rust...NOT. I know their are some excellent coatings out there, the question is $$$. Think I would pass.

And although I am a deckie, I know enough about the E/R to look at the mechanicals and see $$$ going off in my eyes. This one would not be a cheap boat to get and maintain.

Nice lines, easy on the eyes, but....

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Saw it and cringed. steel hull...rust...NOT. I know their are some excellent coatings out there, the question is $$$. Think I would pass.

And although I am a deckie, I know enough about the E/R to look at the mechanicals and see $$$ going off in my eyes. This one would not be a cheap boat to get and maintain.

I thought the same thing after first saying that's awesome. I think i posted before that John Wayne had a yacht that was a former WWII minesweeper. That boat was 120' and would have been a PITA to maintain but it sure would be cool if I had the money to have it done for me and crewed for me and pay for the fuel for those round the world trips and......

AndrewH

No, It's not mine. I work at a marina and it comes in every now and then. Kinda a pain to run forward because the door is not very transparent. Fun toy tho.

lstmate

If it had not been on the west coast I would have made a pitch for us to add to the LST Navy here in Evasnville. She was shallow draft enough that she could run the rivers with us. Would have been cool to visit another port of call with 2 ships instead of one.

If any of you guys want to smell the diesel fumes and fell the rumble of engines under your feet without the major expense out of your pocket let me know. I can arrange for you to relive these experiences onboard the LST 325, maybe even underway.

rat4spd

I was thinking a person could drop a couple mil in at after making it seaworthy and bringing everything up to code. But then again, where are you going to get a stell hulled ocean going vessel that large and sturdy for that cheap.

rizzo

its got "issues" due to its being converted to a passenger carrying boat by having the retriever deck removed and a large house added on. Too much weight for her to haul around, not enough proper maints on engines and gensets.
sounds like lies or misinformation to me. they took more steel off than what they put on. It is probably lighter now than when they got it.
How does taking it to the tug races not help? help what?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks