• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ether substitute

regicidal919

For cold weather starting I have heard that wd-40 works and is a better alternative than ether. Some have comented on the propane propelant in the wd-40 . Others have said propane from a torch works. Am I off base or would it be posible to use propane instead of ether and use the ether cold start system thats already in place just replace the ether bottle with propane?:idea:

Just asking, have not tried it haven't had to worry about cold starts yet. I live in northern Wisconsin so mid winter can be very ... very cold. Just trying to plan ahead.

O.D. Fever

good question.. it sure looks like it will fit... try it and let me know.. I cant buy any new ether bottles around here. 20.00 each and 22.00 hazmat shipping..

GoHot229

Guessing, since its multifuel, I would think any arosol that was flamable would function, of corse within reason. I'm sure you dont want to be spraying Pledge in the intake, but some automotive thing, cleaner, whatever might work nearly as good as either. I'v heard that WD40 is now not a flamable mixture, who knows, I havent put a match to it and shot a spray to see. Myself, I have a squeeze bottle and use gasoline down the tube elbo to the air cleaner, less than a shot glass worth at a time for the vapor effect, seems to work fine instead of either. I really dont like either, having seen alot of farm equiptment that seemed shot due to constant either use.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't like putting ether in anything unless it has a ether injector and I'm still not real crazy about that. Seems if you use ether very much it will get to where you'll have to use it even in warm weather. DO NOT use ether and the flame heater together.

The multifuel (due to high compression) starts better than most diesels in cold weather and starting aids are really not needed where I'm at. A block heater is IMO the best way to go. Not only does it help in starting it also warms the whole engine which helps the oil to flow at startup and causes less stress on the whole engine.

dmetalmiki

cold starts

S.Y.B. is just a (typical Aussi!) name for another ether start product. same as easy start (in U.K.) with the correct winter oils and a good run of the (fitted) flame heater on the deuce.. you will have to go somewhere beyond reason not to start a deuce (or any M/f ) in cold conditions,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks