• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

non cold starting 6.2

jmmay82

I have a m1009 that will not cold start it already has new injection pump, glow plugs,injectors , and some lines any testing procedures or ideas would be great I am thinking it is leaking down. once it is started it will restart very easily I am at a loss please help

jmmay82

yes the glow plugs have power it varies. The problem starting is when the engine has nbot run for a day even in warm weather. I believe the fuel is leaking down but I don't know how to test for where it is leaking down

Ken_86gt

If you have a visible fuel leak, especially around the fuel filter you need to take care of that first. Then if you still have a problem I would look at the glow plug system next.

On a cold engine, when you first turn the key on, check the voltage at one of the glow plugs. You should see about 12V.

Wolf.Dose

There might be a simple but not commen reason behind it: The injection pump runs empty through the fuel feed. I had the same problem in 1992. The valve in the cover with the selenoids is not good, so the fuel is not keept in the pump. Refer to page 2-94 #1 check valve in TM 9-2815-237-34. This might be the problem.
Wolf

acesneights1

It's most likely the lift pump . The mech ones IIRC have a check valve that goes bad. I personally dislike the mech LPs anyway. I'm changing mine over to electric. This is a very common problem with 6.2 of this vintage both mil and civvy. You could try a new mech LP or put a check valve in the fuel line close to the tank somewhere.

m38inmaine

Check the resource section, there is a document from GM talking about upgrading the valve in the IP which yours should have and also a anti drainback lift pump. If the lift pump is original I would replace it. Also carefully check the fuel filter for leaks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks