• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pioneer rack for m1009

niferous

I have never seen one. I have one that is in perfect condition that I got while in the Army. They had about four of them that they were throwing away into the scrap bin new in the box. I took one and some other buds took the others. I never asked why they were throwing them away but I know they were emptying out a storage room when they did it. I wonder if they even went and opened the box before they told some private to go throw it in the recycling bin. :roll:

I want to figure out a way to mount mine up under my truck. Right now I'm thinking under the fuel tank but I haven't tried putting it up under there yet to see if it would fit.

ONTOS66

I've never seen the military mount pioneer tool racks on the M1009, but I did see a privately owned one that had the rack mounted inside on the left (driver's) side. He had fabbed some sort of attachment and had it mounted over the rear window. Attached to the truck above and below the window. Seemed to work pretty well, unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me to take a photo.

The M1009 is the only truck in the CUCV series authorized pioneer tools according to TM9-2320-289-10, although there is no provision nor stowage instructions in the manual for a pioneer rack to be mounted. I never saw one attached to any of the CUCVs I saw in the service.
A couple of suggestions are to mount the rack to the inside of the tailgate, reinforce the rear seatback and mount the rack there, or, as mentioned, mount it against the window. Just remember, in case of accident, any such tools need to be VERY secure or they become missiles bouncing off the walls and passengers.

The pic is of the Suburban M1007-clone and the rack he mounted.

Attachments

Ken_86gt

There was a picture on here not long ago where the tools were all mounted on the front bush guard. I am sure that it was custom, but it looked really nice.

JB

I'd recommend not putting it under the fuel tank. Aside from tools getting caught on brushes & etc. In case of needing the shovel or other tool that may be the hardest place to retrieve from. Especially if you are knee deep in mud or sand & need the shovel. I think that is why the humvees moved theirs from under to inside the truck.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

At the Temple Texas Transportation Museum event we did a couple of months ago the regular Army showed up with some commo gear and a few HMMVW from Ft. Hood. They had a pioneer rack that was not attached, just thrown in back with the rest of the tools. I tried to get them to load it into my M1009 (to save space in their vehicle) but they did not fall for it:)

Attachments

john k

M1009 Pioneer Tool Rack

My Son and I are restoring an M1009 and added the Pioneer Tool Rack to the roadside(driver side) using a combination of the rack mount for a M998 HMMWV and the Jeep high lift jack mount kit. Here are some photos: M1009 Pioneer RackIMG_1133.jpgMount Kit1IMG_1124.jpgMount Kit2IMG_1123.jpg

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

I mounted an old style pioneer tool rack in my M1009. It is in the cargo area, left side, between the window and wheel well arch. I bolted sections of 1" angle iron to the ends of the tool rack and bolted thru the angle iron to the vehicle. The upper is bolted thru the body flange below the window. I cannot recall where the bottom is bolted. I do recall it fit there quite well. For extra safety I used several nylon straps with buckles to tie the tools down.

Regards

Jim

Sergeant1983

In the 1st Gulf War we tossed a Duce/5 ton pioneer Kit in our M1009s and M1008s just like during training. Rack and all. Last thing in and 1st thing off. But got smart and eventually a lot of people just tied the rack to the front grill. Yes the tools got sand blasted a lot. But they were paint bare from use too. I did see some CUCVs with the Hummer pioneer racks loose in the cargo area too. So at events for my M1009 I just place both type pioneer kits beside the truck for display purposes. I was in the 101st Abn Div at the time. Everyone gets real creative when they have too. Saw some strapped to the top with other gear. Many CUCVs drove over there weight limt. We left all our CUCVs there and were issued Humvees before it was all said and done. As well as all our older model Cobras.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks