• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Catastrophic failure of passenger side alternator mounting assy...

Buckmaw

On the way back from the coast today, Maggie gave me a scare...

Driving along I hear a "whap, whap, whap" then the sound of hardware hitting the blacktop.
I see the rather long bolt fall out of the truck onto the ground so I walk back and get it.

Turns out this bolt is the pivot bolt for the passenger side alternator and it has snapped off
at the block. Bummer... but the alternator is still in the truck and nothing got tore up during
the failure.

I quickly grab my redneck tool kit and cut a long piece of bailing wire and proceed to secure the
bolt to keep it from falling out and it allows me to tighten the alternator up enough to produce
amperage.
I still had a good, strong +12vdc to run the lights and everything else.

Photo 1

I put my prybar on the alternator, tightened the top bolt and called it good...

About 100miles down the road, I noticed my volt meter was running low, still in the green mind you, but low.
I pulled over and the top adjusting bolt had worked itself loose allowing the alternator to move, loosening the
belt.

I adjusted the belt, tightened the belt again and got back on the road.

10miles down the road I hear something fall out from under the truck, this sounded much smaller than the first
event. I pulled over and that is when I saw this...

Photo 2

The top bolt has sheared off due to the additional torque place on it by not having the bottom bolt properly
secured to the engine block.

Out comes redneck toolkit again and we are back on the road.

I have to go track down these parts Monday, hopefully the dealership will have them. If not, then its off
to the CUCV parts depot (dude that has a crapload of parts at his house) and I hope he has what I need.

I need parts 3, 5 and 9.

Photo 3 (IPB)

I need to purchase a quality easy out also...

I need it running before I go into the hospital wednesday...

Attachments

Buckmaw

man that sucks well at least you got her home. should be an easy fix though
I should be if I can find the parts...

Can anyone cross reference the GM part numbers?
These are the ones listed in the TM's

Bolt, self locking 1635490
Bolt, machine 14067717
Spacer, sleeve 14067725

Thanks

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch!! Sorry that happened, and your truck is so nice! I was embarrassed to have mine next to it last weekend..:oops:

Cheers

kassim503

If you cant find the parts, im sure a good hardware store would have the grade 5 equiv. of the bolt. (most dont stock grade 8 in those kind of sizes) Additionally, before you jam a easy out or a reverse drill bit in those cramped quarters, try working out the stub of the bolt by hand using a nail, after soaking it in penetrating oil for a while. Worked for me when the starter bolt broke, and the 6.2 sure does get some good vibes sometimes:-D

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about the CUCV. Sounds like you should just part it out now. I'll take the radio rack and PRC-77 vehicle mount :grin:

Westech

CPL
Seen it happen a couple of time on the right side alt on the cucv. Last time it brake off in the head and I had to drill it and use a EZ out. You can get them out, just have to take everything apart so you have room to drill straight.

HardCorps79

So, for the resident experts:

So, we can all avoid this kind of difficulty, what could have prevented this from happening in the first place? Replacing the old alt bolts with new?

POOR WHITE BOY

You can buy the bolt thru a gm/chevy parts dept. They will have to order it but it is still available - expensive - like $16 dollars - i bought one for mine a couple of months ago - before i changed motors

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks