• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mpg thread

BAMA91

i dont know if there is one of these around, cant hurt to have a new one.

my curiosity might help others too soo lets have
-what kind of cucv
-rear end gears
-tire size
-lift(if any)
-any other mods that might affect mpg
-and most importantly your city/highway

Sgt Hulka

After not being driven for many years by the US Forest Service... drove mine from Montana to California. Stock everything, including weather checked tires. Mileage started at 10mpg and by end of three-day trip was at 21 mpg. 70mph all the way average. Leaky fuel filter base. Horrendously dirty air cleaner...

motormayhem

After not being driven for many years by the US Forest Service... drove mine from Montana to California. Stock everything, including weather checked tires. Mileage started at 10mpg and by end of three-day trip was at 21 mpg. 70mph all the way average. Leaky fuel filter base. Horrendously dirty air cleaner...
Why such a drastic change?

I believe mine to be about 18 around town with 4" lift and 35's and the stock 3.08s. I haven't checked it in a while, just fill her up when she's thirsty.

Last edited:

BAMA91

you kinda forgot the specs.

Sgt Hulka

Sorry about that all... Definitely an M1009. And my theory is that as I drove it, long dry seals and gaskets began to moisten up and start sealing again, for the most part, thus more efficient operation and better mileage. Also, I was driving under near ideal conditions for efficiency. Long, steady, flat. I was driving especially precisely because the speedo wasn't hooked up and the way I checked my speed was by timing the Montana and Nevada miile markers. Great trip BTW... Please let me know if I left out any useful details...

ragedracer

M1009
4" Lift
33x14x15 Super Swamper Boggers
3.08 rear end

~17MPG around town with mixed freeway driving at ~65mph.
~21MPG freeway if kept around 55mph

kassim503

I get about 15-17 MPG highway, absolutley cranking it over hills at 80+ mph, but if I ease up I see about 18-20 mpg cruising at a more sane speed of 75 mph. In town is unknown, but it persistantly never ceases to amaze me with the mileage (fuel gauge broke)

12vctd

the trucks gone now due to major vehicle accident but here you go

theres two parts due to mods

M1028
37x13 super swamper boggers
5inch custom lift with custom front spring pack and 4 inch shackle flip in rear and 1 in zero rates
banks turbo, inj pump timed and fuel rate adjusted, custom bumper with warn 12k winch, tool box with about 1k lbs of crap, fuel rite 100 gallon transfer fuel tank, and b100
16 city/ 19 highway

same truck part 2
m1028
37x13 super swamper boggers
5inch custom lift with custom front spring pack and 4 inch shackle flip in rear and 1 in zero rates
5.9 cummins with 97 p7100 injection pump, laser cut DV, 4k gov springs, 0 fuel plate full forward, afc mod, DDP stage 3 injectors, twin turbo s300/s400, spearco intercooler and nv4500/np 205 and some other stuff plus all the added crap as before and still b100 oh and a few dyno runs best being 643 rwhp
mpg's with foot out of truck was 18mpg city, 22 high way, and well about 7mpg when i had grins ear to ear

Last edited:

armytruck63

Bone stock 1984 M1009 with 31 X 10.5 tires. Last weekend I got 18.5 MPG pulling a friend's WWII Bantam trailer at 65 MPH. We went 100 miles on 5.4 gallons (we topped off before heading out into the desert wilderness). Some of the trip was downhill...

dskchevy

1985 M1009
3:08
31x10.5 Recaps (Treadwright.com love them $500 to my door in TX)
City 17 Hwy 22 With 3/4 in holes drilled in air cleaner lid......
Texas flat hwy 75 mph:!:

91W350

My first M1008 was running 17-18 city and up to 22 highway. This newer one runs around 16-18 city or highway. It does not start nearly as nice, is much quieter, seems to have more low end power and less top end power and it has far fewer miles. The old truck was pushing 90,000 and this one is at 27,000.

AJMBLAZER

M1008 stock everything except for Cherry Bombs instead of factory mufflers and 34" tall "36x12.5x16.5" HMMWV RT/II tires = about 15mpg

Same truck, but with 38" tall 11.00R16 Michelin Radials, 1" front lift, and a cold air intake setup gets about 13mpg or so. I'd wager a bit more but I need to correct the speedo.

AJMBLAZER

Bad math, wishful thinking, and a bit of hope?

Not saying anyone's a liar or anything like that but I'm dubious of any claims over 15mpg or so on a 1008. Stock they're over geared like mad so you're spinning the wee out of the engine but even with big tires like mine you're in a 6000lb truck that's aerodynamic as a brick. Just doesn't add up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks