• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard to start Dodge when hot

dougimes

Hey everyone,

I have an m37 and the WC21. My dad has an m37 and a wc63. All of them are hard to start when hot. 2 issues- they dont crank as well (I think the engine is tighter when hot), and it seems it has to crank for 5 or 6 seconds before it starts to fire. All of the dodges in our stable exhibit the same characteristic more or less. Dads 62' m37 wasnt too bad. If its hot, mMy wc21 nearly kills the battery to get it going.

a. Do others have the same experience.
b. what is proceedure works the best? (i.e. treat like flooded and crank, or closed throttle, or whatever you do....)
c. What would you suggest for my limp 6v WC which is going to strand me somewhere some day.
e.

The pix is dad's m37 the day we drove it home.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Nice M37!

Probably due to "vaporlock." Try insulating the fuel line along its entire length inside the engine compartment.

Also research if you can convert to a 12V starter.

mhassett

Dougimes;
This has been covered in a past thread.
Check your igintion system, especially your coil.
Make sure all are good & new.
I installed a Petronix Electronic Ignition in mine and solved all starting problems.
Hope this helps.
mhassett

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the valve in the exaust manafold in the open position? Allowing heat to the carb? Mabye boiling the gas in the bowl? I closed the one in the kids truck and it starts fine when hot now.

ncduece

sounds like gas boiling in the carb from heat soak through the manifold after shut down/ try using an insulated carb mounting gasket

dougimes

sounds like a few good things to try. I looked at the exhaust manifold valve. It seems to be missing the thermal spring that makes it work. Does anyone know which way is closed? looking at it from the side, it can be in 10 oclock or 2 oclock

manual says its a clamped down setting for summer or winter. must have a civilian affair on there.

my 37 was clamped half way, which surely was contributing to my problem.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tight valves will also cause a hard start when hot issue..but not the no crank thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks